Emailing a Principal Again

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Jess93, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Jess93

Jess93 Rookie

Jul 1, 2015

I emailed a principal about my interest in a position at their school but the vacancy closed up (I think it may have been an old posting). Another vacancy for my dream position opened up today. What is your opinion on emailing a principal again. I don't want to annoy the principal, but I would like myself to stand out (in a good way, of course).

Thanks!

3. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 1, 2015

Do they have an online application process? (applitrack?)
    Because then you can just apply without emailing the principal..

4. Jess93

Jess93 Rookie

Jul 1, 2015

Yes, but applications on applitrack have the tendency to not be looked at. I always email principals because of that.

5. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 1, 2015

Just a suggestion since you said you already emailed & didn't want to "annoy" the principal.

Maybe if you apply, they will notice your name since you had emailed them before?

I've never emailed before; I've always just applied online

6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 1, 2015

How long ago was the first email? If it's been a few weeks, I think you're safe to email again.

7. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Jul 1, 2015

This. And I definitely think it is important to follow up with an e-mail after doing the AppliTrack application. I do this and actually have an interview next week that I got from e-mailing the P as a follow up.

8. Jess93

Jess93 Rookie

Jul 1, 2015

No worries! I just hate how it's so hard to get an interview solely through applitrack since so many people apply.

9. Jess93

Jess93 Rookie

Jul 1, 2015

It will be a week tomorrow :/. The only issue is that schools around here do not waist time when interviewing. For instance, the other day, I applied to a school that posted a vacancy that day. I got a call to schedule an interview the next day.

10. olivecoffee

olivecoffee Companion

Jul 2, 2015

I would apply on Applitrack, and then e-mail the principal to let them know you applied. It could be very short and sweet: "I e-mailed you last week about a position in your school that has been filled. I noticed that another position opened, so I wanted to let you know that I applied. I look forward to the opportunity to interview with you!" or something along those lines.

ETA: I probably wouldn't e-mail again unless it is to say you applied.

11. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jul 2, 2015

Is applitrack similar to the online application process that school divisions have and all applicants apply through that?

When you apply and then fu with an email to the P what do you say and do you attach anything?

TIA

12. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Jul 9, 2015

I'm just curious...

Has anyone received replies from principals/superintendents when following up an application with an email? If so, how long after your email was sent did they respond?

I sent 2 emails so far to follow up and haven't heard anything back. I'm assuming they're just not interested. I was wondering if it's typical that they respond back at ALL.

Thanks!

13. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2015

I did this when I was first job searching (sent out probably at least 75 e-mails) and I got one response back telling me that the position was being filled internally but "not to give up on my dreams," lol. I think it's typical to not hear anything back if you're just e-mailing to say you applied. Often it's a school secretary that calls to set up interviews, so if they want to interview you you'll just get a call from whoever is setting them up. I honestly haven't sent e-mails when job searching since then; I just never found it to be effective. My teammate at my last school said she always did and she felt that it got her the job, but I didn't contact the school in any way besides applying and I got hired too...so I don't think that was the reason she got a job! I don't know how common this is, but my current district has really strict guidelines about how contact with candidates is done for interviewing/hiring. Per HR my principal isn't allowed to have contact with candidates outside of the formal interviewing/hiring process because every candidate is supposed to have the same "interview experience." I guess they're just doing everything they can to make sure that someone can't say the hiring process was unfair or that they were discriminated against. I guess it doesn't hurt to send an e-mail when applying, but I honestly wouldn't expect a response back. Just make sure to read the application carefully to see if it says anything about contacting the school. Back in OH, which is a much more flooded job market, a lot of applications that I filled out said specifically not to contact HR and/or the school to ask if your materials had been received as they would be notified electronically through the application system that you applied. I'm guessing they were just getting flooded with calls and e-mails of candidates trying to "get their name out there" by contacting the school and asking about their application.

14. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Jul 9, 2015

I have. I had a few principals say basic things such as they got my application and they would be looking it over. I had one respond and say that she just retired but would forward my resume to the new principal and told me her name. I had one respond and actually ask me to come in for an interview. I also have had a few that didn't respond to the e-mail, but called me a day or 2 after I sent the e-mail inviting me to come in for an interview.

15. Stlteach89

Stlteach89 Rookie

Jul 10, 2015

I've always applied on applitrack and followed up. Where I live, HR usually is in charge of sending applicant files to the principals so I usually email the HR person after I apply. Even if you don't hear anything back, it only helps you. I sign a contract next week but I got a call to interview at my old elementary school a few days agon. Sadly, I had to decline it. However, I had emailed the HR guy after I had initially applied to that job and never got a response back. They do get read, so don't feel bad if you don't get a response.