Email to parents

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by kmd5161, Sep 19, 2014.

1. kmd5161

kmd5161 New Member

Sep 19, 2014

Hi teachers,

I am a first year teacher and I am getting ready to email about 3 of my students' parents because they have yet to turn in any homework assignments. Our parents are very involved in the academics and I want to make sure my email is positive, yet still letting them know their student hasn't done anything. Can anyone give me some ideas of what I should say…

Thanks!

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 19, 2014

Are you going give them credit for the missing assignments? I would just say XYZ assignments are missing. If there's a problem with them completing the assignments they can contact you.

4. Sugar

Sugar Rookie

Sep 19, 2014

It depends on the grade level and what can be done or should be done.

Dear ___________,

Of the four assignments since the start of the year, Student has completed none. As per the syllabus, Student still has until the unit test on October 1st to submit these assignments for full credit. (Or whatever the case may be. If the assignments won't be accepted: While the department's policy is to not accept late work, I wanted you to be aware of the issue before it significantly affects your child's grade.) I have talked with Student and let him/her know of after school tutoring opportunities should he/she find that helpful.

As a reminder, you can view his/her grades online using the CompanyName credentials supplied at open house. We also update the class's Facebook page each afternoon with a summary of the day and assignments. Please let me know if I can help.

Sincerely,
    YourName

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2014

Really, that says it all. Start with something positive about the child, state that you want to touch base to make sure that they are aware of the xxx situation. Lack of assignments obviously impacts grades. If you are going to allow them to turn in the work late for some kind of credit, this is a good time to mention that. If you handed out a syllabus that outlined the grading policy, this is also a great time to reference that document. End by assuring the parents that you would be happy to discuss the missing assignments and any potential outcomes (if there are any), and that you wold be happy to hear from them (even though you will be hoping the papers magically arrive over the weekend). Polite, informative, something positive about the student, and an offer of help or more information as needed. Parent isn't blamed, it is just informational. If your students are older, it will go smoother than if they are in first grade.

Best of luck.

6. teach1

teach1 Companion

Sep 19, 2014

A good rule of thumb for next year (and I'm sorry if you've already done this this year) is to email the parents early in the year with something nice to say. It's always best to start off the first email with nothing but positives.

Then, an email that is harder (homework, fighting, not listening, etc.) isn't the FIRST email the parent ever gets from you.