Email Thank you acceptable?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by JRafko, May 3, 2013.

1. JRafko

JRafko Rookie

May 3, 2013

I recently had a phone interview with a school in South Carolina, and I am in Michigan. The interview went very well and hoping for the best with the position.
    I know that written thank you cards are the most ideal and beneficial to your potential future employer. But, I asked when I would hear about the position and the interviewers replied it would be anywhere from a few days until two weeks. Is it acceptable to email a thank you because of the distance, or should I write a thank you and hope that they receive it before they make their decision?
    With the circumstances I personally think email thank you is fine but I would like to consult the experts!

Thanks!

3. teachinnola

teachinnola Rookie

May 3, 2013

Personally, I have always emailed thank-you notes after interviews. Definitely acceptable.

4. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

May 4, 2013

Email is acceptable. I think the whole point is that they keep you in their mind in a positive way. Email accomplishes that.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 4, 2013

Handwritten notes are thoughtful, but when time is crucial, email works, too!

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 4, 2013

I don't really think handwritten thank you notes are really "beneficial" to the employee. Maybe it provides the candidate another opportunity to demonstrate class, manners, and so forth....but I think that can be accomplished wirh an email, too.

Just an opinion for anyone in your boat... Send from your current school email if you have one and make sure you have a professional setup in terms of font and signature. Someone I work with uses an obnoxious font that's truly difficult to read. Another has a typo in her signature, but my husband suggested I not tell her because he thinks she'll be offended, and knowing the woman that's not something I want to deal with.

Anyway, good luck! :)