Email Question

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 30, 2008

YAY! I got my new home Dell computer set up! :D Hopefully someone can answer an email question. My old computer went out very unexpectedly, so I didn't have a chance to save or transfer anything! :mad: However, a repair co. was able to obtain all my Word documents & pics.

I had numerous emails & contact people saved in my Outlook Express email account. I called my ISP & they said if they were saved over a month ago, I've lost them forever. Well, I had important emails saved from a few yrs ago.

Does anyone know how to retrieve old, saved emails? If so, please give step-by-step instructions.

Thanks!

3. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Dec 30, 2008

No advice...just trying to "make your day!"

:lol: :lol:

4. boogaboo214

boogaboo214 Companion

Dec 30, 2008

Who is your email account through

If your emails are saved in your email account then that is external meaning that they are not saved on your computer they should be in your email account.

If you saved them on your computer then they are part of your files, like word docs and stuff but in order to save them you would have to copy and paste them in to word docs.

Hope this helps

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 30, 2008

I use Outlook Express. I thought they were saved externally. :unsure:

6. boogaboo214

boogaboo214 Companion

Dec 30, 2008

out look express just links you email account to your computer differently i don't use it but just say your email is something at like
    hotmail.com then your email is through hotmail and you can go to hotmail .com and log into your email externally. i do use hot mail and yahoo but i always check mine externally neways but try that and you can at least know that they are still there. you will need your password but there are ways to get it if you have forgotten it.

try that and let me know if it works if not I will ask my hubby the computer guru.

7. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Dec 30, 2008

no advice here either; sorry...But, did I make your day? :hugs:

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 30, 2008

Writer's Block & boogaboo214, um, thanks a lot guys. :rolleyes: just kidding! :)

boogaboo214, thanks for taking the time to help! I know what you mean. I have a yahoo & a few other email accts & I cango to their website directly & log in, BUT this is different. It's through my cable TV company, meaning the part after the @ symbol is their name, but I go through Outllook Express, so maybe that's considered internal.

Do you mean I can never get them again?! I have very important emails that I had saved.

9. irx7fani

irx7fani Rookie

Dec 31, 2008

Your e-mail host will use either IMAP or POP for emails. If it's IMAP (i.e. your district e-mail) then you can just setup your outlook again, and all your e-mails will be there. However, if it's POP, then all your e-mail will be downloaded once you use outlook (unless u tell your host to keep the e-mail in your box). B

10. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 31, 2008

Dell told me that my Outlook emails were toast when my 2nd hard drive went out (which is why I started backing them up regularly). A local repair shop was able to pull a lot off the hard drive, but not the emails. Sorry!

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 31, 2008

I guess I'm out of luck. :( Also, before, I had Windows XP & now, it's Windows Vista, so it says Windows Mail. I don't even see the words Outlook Express on this new computer.

BTW, it was my home emails I was worried about, not district/work email.

Thanks for your help anyway guys. :)