Elmo!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 26, 2008

I used an Elmo for the very first time today. It was outstanding! We had a wonderful time with it- we did writing on there, shared decorated composition book designs on there (like Mrs. Newingham does with her students), and even a little bit of math on there. The kids went up and taught, also, which made the experience a novel one for me because I before today was clueless as to how to use it. :lol:

Questions for YOU:
    :)
    • What have you used an Elmo for, if you have used one?
    • How often have you used the Elmo?
    • Do you have one all the time, or do you share? (It is my team's, though I store it because I am the Team Leader.

3. turtlegirl

turtlegirl Companion

Aug 26, 2008

Congrats on your new technology! I have had one for 3 years now and do not know what I would do without it.

I have used mine to do read-alouds, to zoom in on an object that I want the whole class to see, to play games, teach writing, math, science.....
    I am lucky that I also have a computer attached so that I can use websites to teach alot!

Enjoy your new toy.. beware: the students will be begging to use it on their own!

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 26, 2008

I have a computer attached with the Elmo and projector with the Interwrite Pad (haven't used that at all yet!) and one of those whole-group clicker systems. I need to figure out how to use the last two.

Soon, I'm teaching them how to use Audacity (the sound recording system) on the laptops! I need them on the four classroom computers, though, so we can use it often to make podcasts. I have too much up my sleeve this year. :)

5. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Aug 26, 2008

I don't know what Elmo is but I had to respond to this thread.

I teach sixth grade. We had a writing assignment in which a student had to answer the question "Who is your hero and why?"

Sixth grade response: "Elmo he is red.":wow:

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 26, 2008

Elmo is FANTASTIC for showing off number blocks and magazine articles, terrible for showing off ugly hands.

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 26, 2008

Oh, I realized how HAIRY my arms are today when I was using the Elmo!!!! :(

LiveNLearn, an Elmo is basically referred to as a document camera. It is like an overhead projector in a way, but way more interesting. You can place anything you want on there (objects, journals, photos, kids' writing) and project it onto the big screen. Google it. I didn't know what they were until about a year ago, either.

8. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Aug 26, 2008

AH...
    Digital overhead. I used one as a student teacher. They are great!

9. emerlyn

emerlyn Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

I LOVE MY DOCUMENT CAMERA!!!

So, it's so funny you post this. In my county ALL new school classrooms come with an Elmo. Well, my school is old, and we have 3 for the entire school. One stays for the Principal, and for some reason 2 other teachers keep them and don't share. After bitching and complaining about it, and nothing happening I blithely posted a proposal on www.donorschoose.org and in 6 months my document camera was delivered! I still can't believe people bought it for me!

Anyway, I love that damned thing. It's great for reading stories, because the kids can all see the pictures. It's great when you're reading aloud from the text, because they can follow along on the screen. We play jeopardy type games, I can show pictures, anything small that I want to display (rocks and minerals) I can just put up there!. I just love it. Other teachers are pissed I have one. I tell them it was donated and they still get annoyed! Ah well ;) Enjoy!

10. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 26, 2008

Your hands will also look horrendous!

My class takes notes with me, and I show things on my laptop with it. I also use it to show pictures, and I use mine to "take a picture" of my book, while I walk around with mine.

11. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Aug 26, 2008

I loved Elmo when I was student teaching. Great for math and writing. My current school doesn't have them, but they have Kidspiration and my student teaching school didn't have that.

12. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 26, 2008

My hands looked like they had some form of lupus. :eek:

Anyway, phenomenal day. I am using it just in writing class tomorrow morning, though. :cool: Another teacher will have it in the afternoon after lunch tomorrow, but it's great, I am the person who keeps the cart!

13. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 26, 2008

I use it all day, everyday. It belongs to me and so it stays in my room at all times.:)
    I use it for literally everything. The sky is the limit. It has helped the most during math! The kids love it!
    I also just bought an Interwrite pad on Ebay and I can't wait to start using it next week! I already practiced last week when I was setting up my room. You will love it!

What is the brand name of the student responders that you have? I want some of those so bad!

14. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 26, 2008

Is the Interwrite Pad hard to set up? That one is personally mine this year.

Does it work with the projector and laptop? I just haven't tried it yet.

15. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Aug 27, 2008

Thanks Emerlyn! That looks like a great resource, especially for those in schools such as mine- lucky to have running water and electricity!

I love this opportunity to share!!!

16. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2008

The hardest part for me was getting the bluetooth to "talk" to my computer. I haven't used mine yet this year either.

Funny story- last week my elmo stopped "talking" to my projector. So, I go to take notes together on the projector- no go. Go to try and do math on there- no go. I felt like I was back in the 1800's trying to write on my board.