Elmer's English resources, revived

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by TeacherGroupie, Jan 19, 2007.

1. myty1124

myty1124 Rookie

Jul 26, 2008

One more thing, Wanttoteach. I felt that studying the sample questions and responses for test IV, on the CSET website, was the most helpful in preparing for the test. Yes you do still need to know the specific terms or jargon for each section (media, oral communication etc.) but the sample responses give you a great idea of what the scorers are expecting from us. The questions on the real test are almost exactly like the sample questions on the CSET website. Hope this helps too. Good luck in September. Hopefully, I won't be retaking the tests in September. : )

2. wanttoteachHS

wanttoteachHS Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

Thanks for the replies! I am concerned about all of parts II and IV. My BA in English included no linguistics, speech or multimedia (the latter not existing back then) courses so I will be starting from scratch. I am a generally good editor but see that a lot of people get tripped up on that part for not doing something specific enough to meet the scorers' idea of good editing. This site will be a big help with that. I also have little experience with drama production though that seems a bit more intuitive if I can pick up a few concepts in my studying.

I think the main thing I am concerned with right now is assembling good materials for studying.

Thanks again.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 29, 2008

The creative writing task is less about editing than it is about identifying what the writer's doing wrong and singling out the specified number of things the writer needs to fix, or needs teacherly help to fix.

4. ys33

ys33 New Member

Sep 5, 2008

Thank you all for such amazing information. I am experiencing a career crisis and decided to shift gears and try to get into a credentialing program. Although I feel confident in my writing skills, I'm pretty rusty on my British and American Lit knowledge. The info and sites here and on the other English thread have been super helpful. Thanks again!

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 5, 2008

You're welcome, ys33. Pay it forward, please.

6. tfaca

tfaca New Member

Sep 8, 2008

Hello,

I'm in desperate need of an English CSET tutor who can help one of our teachers in Oakland (or SF; he might be able to come to our office) in the evenings pass Subtest III of the English test. He is taking it this Saturday and it will be his third attempt and he doesn't feel confident about his ability to pass.

Do you know of any excellent tutors for the English CSET, particularly subtest III, who can help this week? Perhaps provide 2 hours of assistance a few evenings this week?

7. jen1371

jen1371 Rookie

Sep 9, 2008

Thank you so much for these guides. They look like they will be incredibly helpful. I'm going to create a study binder with these pages and sparkcharts for quick reference.

I've also been shopping around for a CSET English study guide and it looks like most of them are not all that helpful and may be counterproductive. I wanted to share a bit of advice that I found in a review of the XAM study guide (forgive me if I am repeating something already posted). This is the exact quote:

"I just took the exam today and couldn't believe how many questions I was familiar with. Funny thing is, I didn't invest in any study guides. The most valuable resource in my experience comes directly from the CSET website. Download the Test Guides and pay particular attention to the English Subject Matter Requirements. Virtually all the content in the test is outlined on these 8 pages. I read it through, underlined all the terms and topics, then looked them all up on Wikipedia and cut and pasted together my own study guide. Using this strategy, I feel very confident that I passed. BTW: I was surprised there were no questions on the test directly related to Shakespeare!"

I plan to follow this advice in addition to several of the books on linguistics, lit and cliffs notes mentioned on this site.

Thanks again!

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 9, 2008

Aside from touting Answers.com over Wikipedia (Answers.com includes Wikipedia but also uses sources that are much more securely refereed), this is pretty much what I recommend, yes.

Some people find it helpful to work with someone who can offer feedback on practice answers for Subtests III and IV.

9. Preacher

Preacher New Member

Sep 10, 2008

Can't open Elmer's notes

Hi, I just graduated with a B.A in english and enrolled to take the CBEST next month. After that, I will take the CSET english subtest 1 and 3 in November.

I was just trying to access Elmer's notes here and the site keeps telling me to log in again. I don't know if its me or the site that is causing this problem, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have also been reading a lot of your guys post, which I found really helpful, but left me with a couple questions. I was looking at my own study material, and I have, "A Glossary of Literary Terms," by M.H. Abrams, "A Writer's Reference," by Hacker, and all my Norton Anthologies dating back to the 1500's to present. I personally know the most about the Romantics and Transcendentalist. I know little about Shakespeare, except the names of his books and some poems. I remember a lot of Greek plays, and poems. I also studied Chaucer in middle english.

I guess what I'm asking is if I should really study that hard for subtest 1. As for the linguistic part, I have only taken an intro to linguistics course. And for the writing sections I heard Baron's AP english book mentioned, is this book still a good source of study for the writing section or is there a better one?

I also think writing my own essay answers to the sample questions and revising and rewriting till my own writing is up to par with the sample answers is a good idea, thanks to (forgot name) for mentioning that.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 10, 2008

Linguistics isn't part of Subtests I or III - that's a Subtest II domain. If you've had an intro to linguistics class, you've almost certainly had plenty of prep for the linguistics in Subtest II, and possibly for the grammar and language history as well.

If your English program was rigorous and you did well with it, you'll probably do well on Subtests I and III.

You can bone up on the literary and rhetorical terms using Barnes & Noble's SparkCharts, or try these resources online:

http://www.answers.com/topic/figure-of-speech
    http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0072405228/student_view0/poetic_glossary.html
    http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0072405228/student_view0/fiction_glossary.html
    http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0072405228/student_view0/drama_glossary.html

11. stepka

stepka Comrade

Oct 13, 2008

I may be repeating some of these:

Here are some links to sites I found particularly helpful:

http://www.bartleby.com/cambridge/ mega reference site

http://www.mrbauld.com/index.html A really, really good site for future English teachers.

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/ This goes thru all the grammar principles and has interactive tests so you can see if you got it. It also has tons of stuff about writing, plagiarism, and quoting correctly

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/sitemap.html Online Writing Lab

http://www.antistudy.com/ This is a clearinghouse for cliffsnotes type stuff--don't go back and read all those books--do cliffsnotes! Trouble is, when I read about it I want to read it.

http://www.ipl.org/ Internet Public Library

http://www.pantheon.org/ A review of your mythological stuff

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page Free online books! Aren't you glad you like the good stuff?

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 14, 2008

Thanks, stepka!

13. airborne580

airborne580 New Member

Oct 14, 2008

Thank you very much for the resources at the beginning of this post. Myself and three other prospective teachers are taking the GACE on Oct. 25th, and we've been sharing one XAM book (ugh). I'll share these guides with them. Thank you again for such a constructive and helpful resource.

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 14, 2008

15. Joseph L. Brown

Joseph L. Brown New Member

Oct 25, 2008

Thank you for all you do!

16. Joseph L. Brown

Joseph L. Brown New Member

Oct 25, 2008

Can someone help me for praxis 0041?

If you can recall what was on the test the last time, it might help me. I have taken it 7 times, and I still cannot pass it.

I have every possible test aid and study guide. What I need is insight from any of you, my colleagues.

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 25, 2008

Um. We don't share specific test questions on A to Z: most tests have specific rules against test takers doing that, and the penalties can include invalidation of the sharer's test scores.

What is your sense of where you're coming up short?

18. kamauvieolandu

kamauvieolandu New Member

Nov 5, 2008

Thanks for the great information guys...im scheduled to take to the GACE English 021 6-12 in January 09 (GA) and I will ensure I pass this time. Initially, i took both parts 020 and 021 and flopped on 021, so I'm testing for the second time. Im in Georgia. If interested in communicating via email with other materials...Feel free to email: kamauvielocs@yahoo.com

Thanks once again.....I'm reviewing grammar and other text information using an XAM book. However, it is not the most complete resource. I am also using literary terms flash cards, a great grammar text, and additional notes on writing and using technology.

I hope this helps. Good Luck 2 ALL

19. LAKERS11

LAKERS11 Rookie

Dec 18, 2008

Thanks for all the study guides they seem like they are better than the books out there. Any other suggestions. I am going to take test- 1,2,3. I passed 4 on my first try.

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 18, 2008

Welcome to A to Z, LAKERS11.

Are you taking Subtests I through III for the first time? If not, what do you see on side 2 of your score report?

21. chrissytee

chrissytee Rookie

Dec 20, 2008

Hey Guys, Whenever I try to download the links, it asks me to re-login! I'm so confused, I'd really like some help :/

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 21, 2008

That's a little odd, chrissytee. What are you using by way of Web browser?

23. M.J.

M.J. Rookie

Dec 27, 2008

This happened to me on Safari, so I switched to Firefox and all was well.

24. worryworm

worryworm New Member

Jan 20, 2009

This is such a great resource. I was lost in study guide hell before I found this site. Thank you for posting that guide, Elmer!! I take the English test on 2/28 and I'm so worried about passing. I just can't get over how hard it is to study for. I've always been a good test-taker. Especially in English!

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 20, 2009

You're probably going to do just fine, then, worryworm.

Oh, and welcome to A to Z!

26. Surferdude

Surferdude New Member

Jan 20, 2009

I’m sure happy I stumbled on this site after peeling my eyeballs off my study guide. I sure hope this helps this basic unit pass the AEPA this Sat.

27. Surferdude

Surferdude New Member

Jan 20, 2009

For some reason, these files won't open on my comp.

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 21, 2009

Hm. What's your operating system? How are you downloading them?

29. Surferdude

Surferdude New Member

Jan 21, 2009

I got it!

Just had to use a diff comp

Thanks!

30. rdgteacher70

rdgteacher70 New Member

Feb 4, 2009

Link to lit terms resource

Here is a link that I found useful:

mrbraiman dot home dot att dot net forward slash lit dot htm

31. Mom Of Three

Mom Of Three New Member

Feb 4, 2009

I'm preparing myself to take the GACE II in English for acceptance to graduate school for secondary English Education. While exams are always intimidating, I appreciate all that you've (collectively) done to share with others.

32. Mom Of Three

Mom Of Three New Member

Feb 4, 2009

Thanks to Elmer and many others

I'm preparing myself to take the GACE II in English for acceptance to graduate school for secondary English Education. While exams are always intimidating, I appreciate all that you've (collectively) done to share with others. :)

33. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 4, 2009

You're welcome, Mom Of Three. Nice karma you've got going there, too... And welcome to A to Z.

34. libra61

libra61 New Member

Feb 8, 2009

Thank You sooo much for providing me such great links. thanks Groupie and Elmer..

35. hillamy21

hillamy21 Rookie

Feb 19, 2009

Resources to Pass English 041 and 042

I created these study guides last year in preparation for English 041 and 042. I scored 170s on both exams. I hope this can help someone pass. Thanks!

-Amy

36. frshjb373

frshjb373 New Member

Mar 3, 2009

Format/layout of responses from tests 3 and 4

I see a lot of links related to informative resources about the content found in English tests 3 and 4, but I hardly see discussion about the recommended format/layout of the short answer and essay responses. How many examples should I use? What kind of conclusion should I use for a short answer? Any advise or links about the format of both test responses would really help. Thanks!

37. Teeruh

Teeruh New Member

Mar 3, 2009

Hello!

I too am new to the website and teaching. I just passed the Social Science CSET on the first go and am now attempting the English CSET. I majored in History, but took a few of English lit classes....with history comes a great deal of Language Arts. However, I'm a bit rusty on grammar and completely blank on Linguistics. Any suggestions?

38. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 4, 2009

The glossary of linguistics that Elmer kindly provided is something you might find helpful; look toward the beginning of this thread, Teeruh.

Whereabouts are you located?

39. Teeruh

Teeruh New Member

Mar 4, 2009

Yes, I've printed all the handy files (thank you by the way!). I'm thinking I might take the I and III in May and the rest in July...ugh

I'm from San Diego! My application for the Credential Program will go out next week!

40. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 4, 2009

I and III make a good combination, yes. II and IV are more doable than you might think.