Elmer's English resources, revived

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by TeacherGroupie, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Camille24

Camille24 New Member

Jul 1, 2017

Hi TeacherGroupie. I'm taking subtest 1 & 3 in a few weeks. I've downloaded your attachments which include the English grammar notes, CSET notes, Glossary of literary terms, and Linguistic terms. Is there any other materials that would aid my preparation in my short window of time? Thanks!

2. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 3, 2017

I attached those, Camille24, but credit goes to elmer.

Few questions on Subtest I will ask directly what any of those terms means. Instead, you'll be expected to recognize when the concepts are in play, and for Subtest III you'll be expected to deploy the terms appropriately. Have you taken any college-level courses in literary analysis?

3. Camille24

Camille24 New Member

Jul 3, 2017

I have not. I graduated with a Criminology degree. I'm very far out of my comfort zone and I'm trying not to panic about the CSET.

4. Jul 31, 2017

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I greatly appreciate such well put together information. Surely makes the task of studying a little less daunting. Hoping to tackle this by the end of the year. Wishing everyone else good luck, we definitely got this! :D

5. Skyemgl

Skyemgl Guest

Nov 6, 2017

Thank you for so many resources! :)

6. Saba Siddiqi

Saba Siddiqi Rookie

Nov 17, 2017

Hi, I’m studying for CSET multiple subject subset I. Will these notes be something for me as well. I’m struggling with the language aquisition and assessment type questions. Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  7. Saba Siddiqi

Saba Siddiqi Rookie

Nov 17, 2017

8. Saba Siddiqi

Saba Siddiqi Rookie

Nov 17, 2017

Hi, I’m studying for the CSET multiple subjects subset I and wanted to know if these notes will be something for me as well.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 17, 2017

Will it hurt you to know this content? No. Does it go into more depth than you're likely to need? Yes. The linguistics list might be the most helpful.

Let me point out that we have a Multiple Subject Tests subforum in which CSET-MS comes in for a great deal of attention.

10. Lennie R Rogers

Lennie R Rogers Rookie

Mar 22, 2018

Hello I am new to the board. I will be registering to take the praxis II 5038 (ELA Content Knowledge). I have been trying to prepare for it. If anyone has any useful information or tips to help ease the stress of this test please help me out. At times i feel lost when taking the practice test.

Mai likes this.
  11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 22, 2018

Welcome to A to Z! Let me suggest, if you haven't already done so, having a look at the first page of this thread. The docs there may be helpful.

12. Bree Alvarez

Bree Alvarez Rookie

Apr 4, 2018

These forums are so outdated. I've taken subtest 1 10 times and nothing i really was told to study for is on the test. its extremely discouraging.

13. askash22222

askash22222 New Member

Apr 16, 2019

Hi all, I am new to A to Z and will be taking subtest III sometime this month. I just downloaded Elmer's notes and will study them as best I can.

I don't understand the way these tests are being graded or how to figure out ways to improve my scores and writing skills. I've taken subtest III a whopping total of 14 times with the highest score being a 207. I'm so close! Some of this info does seem outdated but I really need your help and hopefully, someone in this thread is still actively helping the teacher community.

This subtest is obstructing my path into finally becoming a teacher. It's a nightmare!

14. Lucie_Manette

Lucie_Manette New Member

May 21, 2019

Newbie here! I will be taking the 020 English Language Arts test in OH. They no longer take the Praxis here. These study sheets will surely come in handy.
    I took it once before and missed it by 12 points.

15. testguideseeker

testguideseeker New Member

May 22, 2019

Are the classes on the testmaven website still going on? It's 2019 and their last update was 2012...

16. Mai

Mai Rookie

Sep 20, 2019

following

17. Mai

Mai Rookie

Sep 20, 2019

what and where is Elmer's notes???

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 20, 2019

Go to the first page of this thread.

19. g5lisa17

g5lisa17 Rookie

Oct 8, 2019

So, even though this is over 10 years old, it is still relevant? I have 4-5 study books and have taken English CSET a lot of times and have not passed. I’ve seen rules about not posting actual questions (which There are some I would like help on), so how do I find help for subtest 1? I don’t see many current posts.

20. g5lisa17

g5lisa17 Rookie

Oct 8, 2019

I haven’t counted how many times I’ve taken them, but my number may be close to yours...I need help and haven’t found it yet.

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 9, 2019

Each of the terms on Elmer's lists is a technical term that can be used in analyzing literary or non-literary texts. That terminology hasn't varied much in the decades since I last warmed a seat in a college English-lit class: it's the insider's shorthand of the field of English/language arts, which is to say the set of terms the use of which brands the user as someone who knows how analysis works rather than a wannabe. The test taker who expects that Subtest I will ask for definitions of the terms, as a high-school quiz might, is going to be disappointed. In contrast, the test taker who knows the terms, can recognize when each is applicable to the text currently in front of her, and manages to use them reasonably fluently will generally find Subtests I and III much more doable.

Here's an exercise for you, g5lisa17: Download Elmer's lists. Pick a practice multiple-choice question from one of your books; if you like, start with one that is easy for you. Then, using Elmer's lists as word bank, pull together an explanation of why the answer is what it is. If you need to search line by line through Elmer's stuff to find the terms that fit, that's fine to begin with. And you don't have to write a pretty paragraph - back-of-the-napkin bulleting is fine - because the point is to deploy all and only the technical terms that are most applicable to the text at hand. If your source for the question explains the answer, check your explanation against the source's, then rewrite yours if needed. Repeat with other questions, working up to questions you find more challenging and working into weaning yourself off depending on Elmer's lists. The more you do this conscientiously, the more the terminology will become part of your working vocabulary.

22. VelveetaFog

VelveetaFog New Member

Oct 14, 2019

I agree with TeacherGroupie on the Elmer's list. I just got a preliminary pass on subtest I. I used the list and a couple of prep books to create a Quizlet. Then I proceeded to kill and drill the terms so that I could think more abstractly about what the questions asked. Subtest I and III feel like my weak points, so I am planning to continue staying on top of the nomenclature as a good foundation for III and IV. Without regular practice, it is surprising how quickly the terms slip... continuing the Quizlet practice between tests will be good exercise.
    Now I just need some helpful tips on Subtest 4!