ELL Strategies and Adaptations - not in literacy

Discussion in 'General Education' started by McKennaL, May 9, 2009.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

May 9, 2009

I have a interview coming up and I have a question about how YOU work with ELLs...

>>>BUT...

not in terms of literacy (they are taken out of the class for literacy and mainstreamed for the content areas...math, science social studies)

Any ideas?

Here's what i came up with (but I was VERY tired when I did)

Math: manipulatives and graphic organiziers and model designs until their grip on the english language was more secure (could write out the answers)

Science and Social studies.. pairings and partnerships, using tiered materials, tasks, etc, Making thier own content area dictionaries with pictures and pronunciation guides.

>>>>

Past that...and without getting into guided reading groups (etc) that's all I came up with...but I feel they wanted more (I was asked this on a quick phone screening).

Thanks!

3. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

May 9, 2009

Last year, I ended up with a mostly ESL special education science class.

We did a lot of acting out of things, for example, acting out the food chain.

We did a lot of hands on activities.

I always had pictures for the vocabulary words that could be pictured (cell, organ, etc)

4. frogger

frogger Devotee

May 9, 2009

I agree with PP, have pictures with vocab for the content areas and hands on activities.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 9, 2009

In math, we work together to make a math vocabulary dictionary. For each term (e.g. perimeter) they write the word in English and in their native language, draw a diagram and include examples of problems relating to the concept.

6. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

May 10, 2009

I taught Social Studies to ELL kids and we did a lot of concept maps, graphic organizers and I used leveled reading materials. ELL kids also tend to pick up on speaking the language faster then they do reading it - especially if they are illiterate in their native language (my ELL students spoke Plautdiestch which is only now becoming a written language - so they spoke Low German and kind of read High German - they could pronounce the words but not understand what they were saying), so we did a lot of discussion and reading aloud. If you have several students in the class who speak the same language, make use of those students who have a better grasp of English to explain things in their own language to those who do not. ESL kids can produce the same quality work and do the same assignments as none ESL kids when they understand what is being asked of them.

7. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

May 10, 2009