ELL job interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by OhioTeacher216, Mar 17, 2021.

1. OhioTeacher216

OhioTeacher216 Rookie

Mar 17, 2021

I have job interview coming up (yay!) for an ELL/IS position. I am working towards my ELL endorsement and am certified special education.

On my application, I fully disclosed I will not be certified until December 2021 due to practicum issues/placement. I am planning on this being addressed in the interview. However, what is the best way to answer questions pertaining to specific teachings of ELL students without having the hands-on experience (yet). For example, if they ask 'tell me about your experience working with ESL students?" Do I just say my experience has been limited, but am well-versed with strategies as a special education teacher to support them in the classroom setting?

Any help is appreciated!

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 17, 2021

The fact that you already have one certification and will have the other shortly is a huge boost! It's rare to find one person who has both. Talk with your interviewers about your current studies and how you can find common intervention methods. Also, perhaps find out from your TESOL program whether you would be permitted to supervise your own practicum hours in this classroom. I've seen that before.

You have this!

4. OhioTeacher216

OhioTeacher216 Rookie

Mar 17, 2021

Thank you! I've been brushing up on different terminology that may be asked, classroom models, etc. I know I cannot be used to supervise my own practicum hours, but the school district it is with does have another TESOL instructor who will have to act as the supervisor (if it gets to that point). The one huge connection between sped. and TESOL is that most of the TESOL teaching strategies are parallel to sped. strategies. I'm hoping to use that as a basis of interventions, strategies, etc.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 5, 2021

Afraid to ask, but do you have any updates?