Eligible for Hire in Alaska

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by crosscountryski, Jul 7, 2009.

1. crosscountryski

crosscountryski Companion

Jul 7, 2009

Hi

I was notified by HR this morning from a school district in Alaska that I am eligible for hire. About a little over a year ago, I went through the hiring process and got to the very last stage. I ended up taking a job further south in Nevada. I asked them to put my application on hold. I have regretted that decision and wish I did follow through and move to Alaska. I have been up there a couple of times and love it. They re-opened the application today.

I now have permission to contact principals. They come back late July. School starts mid-August, but I think I might be able to start later if I need to. If it doesn't work out for this year, I will have everything in the works for next year and can start contacting principals sooner.

I am hoping that it will work out. I have started applying for the Alaska license. I had to mail stuff off my college so that they can fill out some stuff. Once I get that back, application is in the mail.

thanks

3. darlibby

darlibby Companion

Jul 7, 2009

Congratulations on the big step. I've never been to Alaska but the pictures I've seen are beautiful!

4. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 7, 2009

Hopefully bonneb will read this thread and offer you some Alaska advice :) I think she is the only teacher from Alaska on here?? Maybe change your thread title to Eligible for hire in Alaska???

Good luck and may the licensing gods smile down on you :)

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2009

Crossing my fingers!

6. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 8, 2009

I've heard wonderful things about teaching in Alaska. Hoping something wonderful comes your way!

7. kassrose

kassrose Companion

Jul 8, 2009

This sounds really interesting. Could you direct me to a website where I could get more info? Are you going through a particular program or did you just apply for licensure and then start contacting districts?

Thanks!

8. crosscountryski

Jul 8, 2009

Hi

I contacted districts and started going through their process.
    I am in the process of applying for license. Should have that out in the mail by next week.

Interesting thing just happen this afternoon. I emailed a principal regarding a position at her school in Alaska. I did not leave my phone number. I forgot. I left my apartment for 5 minutes and came back with a voicemail. She wants to do a phone interview tomorrow. Wow! that was quick. She will let me know if I am hired by Friday. She is doing other interviews, so I am competeting against others. The interesting thing is that she appears interested and called me back so quickly.

thanks

9. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2009

How exciting! Good luck!

10. smalltowngal

Jul 8, 2009

That's exciting! Good luck!

11. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Jul 8, 2009

I know that a girl I graduated with got a job in Alaska, she got it pretty quickly and really enjoyed it.

12. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 8, 2009

How did she get your phone number?

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 8, 2009

BTW good luck tomorrow!

14. crosscountryski

Jul 8, 2009

Hi

I asked HR about that this afternoon and she said that once I am approved for hire, my personal informaiton is released to principals.

thanks
    Jennifer

15. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 8, 2009

Good luck! A former co-worker has a sister who teaches in Alaska. She really enjoys it!

16. zoerba

zoerba Comrade

Jul 9, 2009

Hi! I'm an Alaskan teacher. What district are you applying for? I work in the MatSu School District, in Wasilla. I am excited for you! Alaska is a great place to teach, but just like any other state, there are some challenging areas.

Good luck to you!

17. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2009

That is very exciting. DH and I just went to see The Proposal which had a large portion filmed in Alaska and it was absolutely beautiful. DH has cousins who live in Alaska and they really love it there.

Best wishes to you.

18. crosscountryski

Jul 9, 2009

Hi

I would be teaching in Anchorage School District. It looks like this school is in mid-town area. Still trying to figure that out. If it works out, I am trying to figure out how to get my stuff up there including my car.

thanks

19. crosscountryski

Jul 9, 2009

Hi

I had the phone interview this morning. I think it went well. The principal described the make up of the school and talked about the issues they are facing. I found this school so interesting because they are doing alot of work with English Language Learners before they are identifed as needing special education services such as interventions. I actually did a research paper in grad school on this exact same issue.

It is going to be challenging school. Alot of the students at the school do not have a stable home and they come from low income families. Even though it may be hard and challenging, I think it would be so rewarding. I am hoping this is the position that is meant to be. Now, I am in the waiting pattern once again.

She asked me how serious I am about moving up. I told her that if it is meant to be, I will be up there. I have been seriously considering a move up there since I graduated from college and I regret that I didn't.

thanks

20. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2009

I am glad that it went well and I hope you get the job.

21. smalltowngal

Jul 9, 2009

I'm crossing my fingers! Is this the one where you should know by tomorrow?

22. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 9, 2009

Sounds promising!! :)

23. crosscountryski

Jul 9, 2009

Hi

I should find out tomorrow. Trying to figure out how to get everything up there including me is going to be challenging.

thanks

24. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 10, 2009

How exciting! Just take what you have to at first. You will figure it out. I think it is so inspiring people that can just pick up and move their lives. If I had not been forced to move because of my husband's job transfer I would still be in the same place. I have always wanted to live in a different place though and when this opportunity came up, I went with it. Looks like I am here for a good while. We bought a house. :)