Eligibility Pool

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by necodaak8, Jun 15, 2008.

1. necodaak8

necodaak8 Rookie

Jun 15, 2008

Ok, so I have an interview at the district headquarters for mt diablo unified. I am curious what is an eligibility pool? For those you that may know is it any different than a normal interview? Should I know about the district in detail? Could they ask me to define CLAD or NCLB or ELA? Thanks everyone.

Daniel

3. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jun 15, 2008

An eligibility pool is simply a pool of candidates for a certain kind of position. There may not even be any open positions. Some districts have some kind of pre-screening of candidates. What this entails is going to depend on the district.

I recently went through such a process. Actually, it started on-line with a number of questions about teaching that had to be answered in a certain time. The interview was a continuation of this process. All of the questions were predetermined and designed to find out what my teaching and classroom management style was. The interview was taped and is available to any principal who has an opening. The follow-up interview at the school resulted in a job offer.

Could be completey different a Mt. Diablo. Anything is fair game. I wouldn't worry about knowing too much about the district. They are going to be concerned with how you fit in with their needs. IMHO you don't need to know a lot about CLAD, ELA, or NCLB. But, if you are fully credentialled, they will probably want to see that you have some kind of EL certification and are "highly qualified" for NCLB purposes. Or, if you are applying for a district intern position, I think they will want to know where you stand with that.

4. necodaak8

necodaak8 Rookie

Jun 15, 2008

You were taped!? Oh dear. lol. Thank you for the information though I appreciate it a lot. I had an interview for a school in the san ramon school district. 16 applicants for 1 spot. They narrowed it down to me and one other person. The principal chose the other person because of 12 years of experience. But she said my interview skills was excellent and I was mature beyond my years and someone will pick me up. So she gave me a lot of confidence.

5. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jun 16, 2008

The eligibility pool as is was explained to me is a lot like what Malcolm wrote. You apply for a district and they send you a link for an on-line teacher screening survey where you answer a bunch of questions about hypothetical classroom situations. Then you go in to a job fair and you talk to schools. If a school likes you they give you a slip that's an invitation to go interview. There you do an interview (in my case it was some kind of special interview where they aren't supposed to give you feed back so that all interviews are object. pfft...). After that if you pass that interview, you get a letter saying you will be put in the eligibility pool meaning that all the schools in the district know that you've passed the screening process and they can pull your file and extend an offer to interview.

6. Mrs.Bran

Mrs.Bran Comrade

Jun 16, 2008

HI,
    I used to work for Mt. Diablo. The way it worked for me (keep in mind this was 1996) was, I interviewed with a panel and then got a letter from the district stating that I was on the eligibilty list. When schools have and opening, they can only call people from this list for interviews. It is an essential step. Don't miss it. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.
    Best of luck!