Elf on the Shelf...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by myKroom, Dec 12, 2013.

1. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Dec 12, 2013

I CAN'T STAND IT!!!!!!!

Am I the only one?

The kids get very excited about their elf and that is great, but I'm just not a big fan. We even have teachers that have them in their classroom. It's just too much!

Don't get me wrong...I love Christmas, but I'll continue believing that good old Santa is watching me over that creepy Elf on the Shelf.

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 12, 2013

I have to admit, I buckled to the pressure of the Elf this year. HUGE MISTAKE. I hate the dumb thing. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me, and my kids (even the 3 and 8-year old) think it's lame. But now I'm committed, so I have to go through with it. Thank goodness Santa will recall it to the North Pole at Christmas, and next year he will NOT be sending it back!

I posted a pic on FB the other day...one of those old timey picture things..."That moment when I'm almost asleep and realize I forgot to move the #&@* elf!"

That's it in a nutshell.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 13, 2013

We have an Elf, and my daughter loves coming down each day to see where he is. And my husband gets a huge kick out of moving him.

He forgot one day last week, and she was concerned. But all was well-- the next day the elf showed up holding a bottle of Aleve; apparently he had been ill the night before.

BUT-- I think we're unusual because we never, ever tied good behavior into Santa. (SO there's no need for the elf to report back.) You're supposed to be good because you're supposed to be good, not because it will net you more loot on Christmas morning. Even when they were little, and at their pre-Christmas worst, my kids have never heard me utter the words "Be good because Santa is watching." It was enough that I was watching.

5. bison

bison Habitué

Dec 13, 2013

Not a fan.

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Dec 13, 2013

All of the primary teachers in my building do it. I don't care for it, so my class has a polar bear to keep us company in this cold weather (and it was cold yesterday- no heat at school for about three hours!).

7. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Dec 13, 2013

I think it's cute to do at home but, like Alice said, I would tie it to good behavior. Kids should be good year round, not just because an elf is reporting to Santa

8. a2z

a2z Maven

Dec 13, 2013

Elf on the Shelf does NOT belong at school. Those that use it as coercion at school concern me even more.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 13, 2013

We don't do the Elf at home.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 13, 2013

I've heard of Elf on a Shelf, but never knew the story behind it or how it works, until I just looked it up now. I wouldn't start doing this thing in the classroom! There's plenty of other education-related things to do.

11. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Dec 13, 2013

On of our 8th grade teachers does it and its cute. She doesn't do it for good behavior or anything like that though. Just as something to look forward to in the morning

12. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Dec 13, 2013

He's a creepy little guy.

13. chemnerd19

chemnerd19 Companion

Dec 13, 2013

When you really stop to think about it, he kind of is...

14. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Dec 13, 2013

I am just curious as to why you feel it doesn't ever belong in school.

I may have a different perspective because I teach at a private school but all the K-2 teachers, including myself, have an elf this year. It is so much fun for the kids! They love the elf. I don't coerce the kids or tie it to behavior, he is just a part of our class for a few weeks and occasionally brings us Christmas surprises (today it was bells from the Polar Express, after we had read the book and done some literacy activities yesterday). We also tie him into different things we are learning, ex: introduce letter writing by writing an get to know me letter to our elf. I think the sense of wonder and innocence surrounding all of the Christmas 'magic' should be fostered.

15. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Dec 13, 2013

I hate it too. I think he's super creepy, and in the traditional sense - the elf is watching to see if you're good, and he's going to report back to Santa - it's even creepier! I don't like it at all. I've only ever heard of it being used in the traditional sense, the "I'm watching you" sense. No one at my school does it in their classroom, but my sister in law does it with her kids.

16. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Dec 13, 2013

Don't hurt me, but I have an elf this year....
    Actually we have a girl elf. Instead of the normal "I'm watching, be good, here are some treats" I've tied it in to helping others and spreading what the elf calls Christmas magic. We teamed up with our fourth grade buddies and made them Christmas cards.
    As Rebecca mentioned our elf is also tied into what we're learning in the classroom. One morning this week our elf had a TodaysMeet for us to use during ELA time.
    I must admit, I'm running low on ideas for where to move our elf each day.