Elementary teaching job opportunities in San Diego

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Laura Lea, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Laura Lea

Laura Lea New Member

Mar 28, 2016

Hello- I just recently moved down to San Diego, and am planning to pursue my dream of becoming an elementary school teacher. I would ideally like to work in an inner-city,or historically low-performing school in the lower grades, but would be open to any teaching opportunity within the area. I looking for any advice or information about how difficult it is to get an elementary teaching job in the San Diego area right now, and any recommendations in terms of ways to improve my chances of getting hired.

Thank you so much!

3. Laura Lea

Laura Lea New Member

Mar 28, 2016

Also, is it recommended to attain a teaching credential from SDSU? Or are all credentials looked at in the same way? I already have my BA, and am trying to figure out which school to apply to for my credential.

4. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Apr 4, 2016

I imagine that it is as easy or hard as finding a job in LA right now... i.e. not easy but possible. (Five years ago, it was impossible.) I was in the market five years ago, and I was on edjoin (online) daily. At that time, I never got one job opportunity/interview through that, competing with probably 500-1,000 others for every job. These days, it is likely less competitive.

The way that was effective for me was spending whole days driving around and visiting each school in an area. This practice, BTW, is one many districts discouraged at the time... many people will tell you, "We do our hiring online. You should apply there."

I already knew that, but I'd do the visits anyway because it differentiated me from anyone else and it put my face to my name. Long story short: I got all of my interviews via this method.

Laura Lea likes this.
  5. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Apr 5, 2016

I highly recommend UCSD because everyone seems to know that it is one of the most selective universities in southern California. You will get an outstanding education there.

Laura Lea likes this.
  6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 5, 2016

Instead of thinking in terms of what name will be impressive, judge programs by the extent to which they'll really equip you to work with the population you want to work with.

San Diego County Office of Education has a list of accredited programs with Web links at http://www.sdcoe.net/human-resources/credentials/Pages/approved-training-programs.aspx, and you'd do well to get in touch with each to explore how its offerings might work for you. Please note that SDCOE's links are to each university's main Web page, not to its school/college of or program in education, and both SDSU (San Diego: the Imperial program is probably farther than you'll want to drive) and Cal State San Marcos have offices that are designed to offer information and guidance to someone in your position. University of San Diego wouldn't be cheap but is highly recommended and might well have a program option that would suit you. Point Loma Nazarene (also not cheap) might not do what you want, but it wouldn't hurt to ask. I don't think of UCSD (not Extension, but the main campus) as specializing in elementary education, but I'm willing to be corrected on that. Alliant might be worth a look. Most of the remaining programs on SDCOE's list follow something like National University's model: evening classes in office parks, and one typically takes a single class for four to six weeks, with student teaching (which more or less has to be during the school day) at the end of one's coursework.

Laura Lea likes this.