Elementary Teachers....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ecteach, Jan 15, 2015.

1. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jan 15, 2015

Does everyone on your grade level team teach the same thing at generally the same time? I am alone as far as my position at my school. However, I do have to complete observations on students who are going through the testing process. The higher grades seem to be teaching the same things at the same time, but the lower grades definitely are not. I don't really have an opinion on this....was just wondering what you do at your school.

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 15, 2015

There are five of us on my team... three of us teach gifted, two are base school teachers. I honestly have no idea whatsoever what the two base school teachers are teaching, but the three GT teachers are generally within two days of each other in language arts and math.

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jan 15, 2015

We're all on the same unit, but we may not be doing the same lesson on the same day and in the same way. Similar to gr3teacher, our classes are set up so that the abilities levels vary from one another. Our classes with gifted clusters are often studying the same content but doing assignments that are different from what the low to average classes are doing. Again, though, we're all on the same unit.

5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jan 15, 2015

This is a point of contention at my school. Generally, all of the teams try to teach general concepts in the same order/around the same time, and everyone agrees with that. However, some teachers think that "collaboration" means that they have to plan everything together and teach everything exactly the same way, and they get angry when their teammates don't want to plan like that. I'm the only person in my position also (we have another sped teacher this year, but she teaches different grade levels), but it would drive me nuts to work on a team where the teachers did everything exactly the same and tried to plan every little thing together.

6. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jan 15, 2015

This sums up my experience as well.

7. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 15, 2015

Yes, but largely on accident. Being new to the school, I'm under a mentor who is also mentoring the other new teacher (who is still getting her license, she's that new) and the leftover teacher in the grade feels left out of our meetings, so he drops in.

I personally love everyone being on the same page. We can share ideas more easily. We certainly don't teach the same exact lesson (we've a variety of teaching styles in the grade) but we stick to the same curriculum map.

8. 49erteacher

49erteacher Rookie

Jan 15, 2015

We are do the same story in reading, and we are on the same chapter in Math. We don't discuss in much more detail what we are doing.

I like having some collaboration, but I wouldn't feel comfortable if everything was done the same.

9. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 15, 2015

My mentor teacher hates basal readers and never uses them. I like to use them when teaching whole-group lessons. The newbie teacher finds they give her a nice basic support so she relies on them most of all.

We're on the same page as far as language arts skills, but I guess we really do differ in how it's all happening!

10. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Jan 17, 2015

My team of grade level teachers are maybe a day or two ahead or behind each other in curriculum. We may not do them the same, but we do have the same goals and are fairly aligned in our method of presenting the lessons.

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 18, 2015

It depends on the team. A few subjects are on the exact same lesson each day and others are on the same standard the same week. I share a subject with an idiot so we are never exactly in the same place, but the teachers who can read are generally paced fairly close together.

12. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jan 18, 2015

We each follow the same curriculum map that details when we teach what sight words, letters, word families and themes. With that being said, we all do our own activities related to those topics and some themes we skip if it doesnt fit in. Next year, it will be changed to reflect our new ela curriculum. Math we are all on our own and just use the blueprints our district created to teach what standard when.

13. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jan 18, 2015

We're all pretty close. Generally, the GT class is a week or so ahead of me, and the co-taught class is about a week behind me.

14. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jan 18, 2015

No one else does what I do and I pretty much create the curriculum myself.

However, the gen ed grade level teachers work in teams and plan together. Some grade level allocate subjects to plan like teachers A and B plan math and social studies for the team and teachers C and D plan ELA and science for the team. Then they submit one set of plans for the week like "third grade lesson plans". I'm a bit jealous. ;)

15. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jan 18, 2015

All grades are teaching the same thing at the same time. Maybe give or take a few days if on teacher is a little behind or one class is moving a little more quickly. But we pace out our units together in the same order, we're all following the exact same curriculum. This is something state evaluators look for when they come to the school.

16. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jan 18, 2015

It's the same with my team. There are five of us; four gen. ed and one bilingual class. One class may need more time to review a skill or lesson while other classes may be in the same situation or ready to move on. We have different students with different needs, so my opinion is we shouldn't be cookie cutter as far as doing the same thing all the time.

17. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jan 18, 2015

We are REQUIRED to establish a year long pacing guide for each subject. So I guess yes, in general, we are all at the same place.

18. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2015

Since our math has a pacing guide, and our reading has a quasi-pacing guide, we're usually within a couple days of each other, though will each approach the curriculum differently. I'm with a team of four others who all have worked together and also taught for a long time, so they each have their own ways. In addition, I am in the building, whereas they are in portables, which lends to less collaboration in that regard.

19. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jan 20, 2015

We pretty much have to be in the same place, especially for math. We give weekly short formative tests for reading and math that are all the same (district uses them across the board) and for math we have daily reteach classes that we switch the students.

20. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 20, 2015

I just had a horrible flashback: I used to work under a principal who expected us (the 2nd grade team) to be on the same lesson every single day. :rolleyes:

There were some years when I could go pretty quickly, but there were other years when I had to slow down the pace and allow for preteaching and reteaching. It all depends on your students' needs.

21. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 20, 2015

This is best practice, in my humble opinion. :2cents:

22. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jan 20, 2015

At my previous school, all teachers had to teach the exact same lesson on the same day. I HATED it.

At my new school, we have a general map that we can follow, so many of us are teaching the same thing, but it is not required. I love the freedom that gives.

Collaboration is nice sometimes, but sometimes it is impractical. I prefer doing my own thing but knowing what other teachers are doing.

23. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 20, 2015

As long as we cover everything that we need to by the end of the year, we're good; there is no expectation that we are doing the same thing at the same time, or even in the same order. Some teachers do work closely together on aligning units and assignments but many do not.