Elementary Teacher Interview (need advice)

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Sfalkne1, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Sfalkne1

Sfalkne1 Guest

Jun 30, 2018

I am a new teacher and I had an interview for a position that I really want. I came up with an answer for all the questions I could think on paper and studied it before the interview and I learned all about the school. However, during the interview I seemed to freeze up and couldn't find the words to answer the questions. I answered but when they asked me to give an example or how I come up with procedures and routines I couldn't think straight. I told them that one of my weaknesses is that I can be soft spoken and the principal really encouraged me telling me that soft spoken people are often some of the wisest people. I also mentioned that I had studied answers and I knew what I wanted to say I just started blanking and the two teachers were saying that they were once in my position and not to let that worry me. I also sent an email to the principal thanking her for giving me the opportunity and she replied that it was a pleasure to meet me. They said they were going to try to make a decision that day and they would let me know either way and won't leave me hanging and I still haven't heard anything. I feel like I bombed this interview.

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 30, 2018

How long ago was your interview?

Take it as a learning opportunity. You may not have gotten the job, but it might not be because of the way you interviewed. I will tell you that my school - which is very tough to get into, because we're small and highly sought after - just hired a brand new teacher with no experience who was obviously nervous during his interview. When we discussed him afterwards, we talked about how he was obviously nervous but that we saw potential in him. So, we offered him the job.

If you didn't get the job, it may not be because of anything you did or didn't do. It might just be because they found someone who was more who they were looking for. Keep interviewing, and don't hold your breath for this job. But don't assume that you bombed it either.

4. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jul 1, 2018

I've never been given a gift from a school administrator. The most useful gift was from a PTO - it's a 4.5-inch tall white plastic mug with my name hand-painted onto the side of it and was filled with an assortment of pens, markers, scissors, etc. Over 30 years later, I still have it on my desk at home - a touching daily reminder of my time at that school.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2018

Wrong thread?

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2018

It’s not about studying and having an answer for every potential question you can think of. It’s about knowing who you are and want to be as an educator. It’s okay to not know all the ‘right answers’. Ask for clarification, have the courage to say you want to know more about that idea, that you want to learn and grow. Have and convey passion, a love of teaching and learning,

bella84 likes this.
  7. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jul 2, 2018

There's another aspect of responding to interview questions that was helpful for me - THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK. Instead of spontaneously responding to every question in a rapid-fire manner like many people tend to do, take a few moments immediately after a question has been asked to think about how you should respond. For some of the tougher questions, I would sometimes show a pensive expression and think for about 10 seconds before opening my mouth - this actually gave me just enough time to consider a couple of different options and structure my answer in the best way possible. A measured response based on a few moments of personal reflection can go a long way, not to mention that it shows that you're not someone who tends to "shoot from the hip". It also helped me to effectively avoid freezing up!

Tip: After reading a potential interview question, practice giving a delayed response while thinking about how you would answer. Try to pause not more than 10 seconds.

8. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jul 2, 2018

Oops!!!