Elementary science lab position

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by AdamnJakesMommy, Apr 10, 2013.

1. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Apr 10, 2013

I am currently a first-year middle school teacher in an alternative program. I am interviewing in a district closer to home next week for a position in an elementary science lab (I am certified via Praxis to teach elementary). Can anyone offer insight as to what this position entails? Is it a lot like a resource class?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 10, 2013

We have a science lab in my building...it is NOT a resource cass. The lab teacher plans weekly lessons tied to each grades current science units of study and each class goes to the lab for a session each week...lots of hands on activities, observations and experiments...she's great at tying in literacy too.

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Apr 10, 2013

yep - the science lab at my kids' school was like that. The teacher developed lessons based on standards within the different grades. Sometimes she worked on a series within her own lab (taught the scientific method with examples for a couple of weeks before the kids started their science fair projects) and sometimes she reinforced what was happening in the regular classrooms.

Students went to lab once a week with their class, just as they did for PE or Art.

5. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Apr 11, 2013

That sounds awesome!

6. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Apr 11, 2013

That's exactly how it works at my school.