Elementary school yearbooks

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by alabama, Mar 12, 2016.

1. alabama

alabama Rookie

Mar 12, 2016

Does your elementary school sell yearbooks to families? What are your thought about them?

They sell them at my daughters school (she's in third grade). I have mixed feelings. She is part of a very large school and most kids aren't featured in the candids. The school PTA has a "position" of "yearbook photographer" who spends time at school photographing the kids in the classroom, on the playground, and other times during the class day. I'm uncomfortable with that, I don't think my child should get photographed during the class day. It doesn't seem to me that taking pictures of kids in the classroom is appropriate.

What are your thoughts about yearbooks in elementary school?

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Mar 12, 2016

My school sells them. The kids love them. Most schools have a form parents sign at the beginning of the year either giving permission or withholding permission for student photographs in general. Yearbook candids would be included in this.

4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Mar 19, 2016

Our school (and I believe most schools) have a policy on photographing students. Parents who don't want their child photographed for the yearbook won't have the child in the yearbook. I usually have one parent every two years who opts out of having their child photographed.

Personally, I am okay with elementary yearbooks as our policy is that they are given out for free at 1 per student and there are none sold. The principal and a teacher check the entire yearbook before it goes to publishing.

Also, the students absolutely love them. It would be a big deal to them if we got rid of them.

Backroads likes this.
  5. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Mar 19, 2016

As an adult, I love looking back at my old yearbooks (I'm sad I lost my 1st Grade yearbook).
    I'm sure those kids would love looking through their elementary yearbooks when they're older.
    I can't imagine a school not having yearbooks!
    It was the one thing everyone looked forward to at the end of the year.

6. msleep

msleep Rookie

Mar 19, 2016

why do you feel that the pictures in the classroom are inappropriate?

Backroads and czacza like this.
  7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 19, 2016

We have yearbooks. The kids and families love them. Regular school portraits are on each class's page plus an informal collage of each class. Photos are taken of school celebrations, special events. The 'graduating class ' (4th grade!) families but boosters, there's a baby pic page for them as well. It's all in fun.

8. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Mar 19, 2016

Wow yearbooks, really?

If you don't want her photographed, you just say so. The End.

I think the idea of a yearbook is fantastic - it's so much fun to look back.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 19, 2016

Didn't mention in my above pst, but my school does send home photo permission slips as part of the back to school paperwork every year. I believe it mostly addresses photos for website, PR, outside of school kinds of uses. We can still take and display photos f kids in school and in the yearbook. No parent has ever balked at this.

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 19, 2016

Each classroom teacher makes a page for their class at my school. This is done so kids don't get left out. I have had to scramble at the end of the year because I didn't have a chronic absentee in but one photo.

I've never had a child who didn't have permission to be in the yearbook but it wouldn't be an issue if that should come up.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 19, 2016

Alabama- i'm curious if your child is expressing a feeling of being left out at school? You currently have 2 threads critical of school culture/traditions in which you seem to be critical of/noticing exclusivity/non-inclusion of some activities. Is this your perception or that of your child? Have you expressed concerns to the PTO/or offered your time/energies in order to promote more inclusion? You can be part of the solution if there really is s problem here.

12. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Mar 19, 2016

I personally think yearbooks are kind of silly at the elementary level, but that may be because I didn't have them growing up until middle school and higher. My current school (elementary) does have them for a price (between $20-25) and it does make me uncomfortable because we have a low-income population and it just seems so... unnecessary? Dunno. But apparently the kids are into it, I guess. I don't have a problem with picture-taking in my classroom or in school generally, in fact I take pictures fairly regularly of fun/ cool/ interesting things we do in class as well as of students just generally working well or reading interesting things. I share a bunch of these photos on Class Dojo so parents can see what we're up to.

Backroads likes this.
  13. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Mar 20, 2016

My school sells them for just $10. They have a contest where a student can design the cover. Each grade level has its own section, with class pictures and candid pictures. There is a section for club photographs, too.

My elementary school started yearbooks when I was in 5th grade, and I often wish I had them for other years. It would be fun to look back at all of the class pictures-not just my own class'. I think it would be fun to see pictures of the kids that I went to elementary school with, but never went to middle or high school with. I would love to see the kids that were in 5th grade when I was in kindergarten or first grade.

We also have a picture permission slip, which almost all parents sign in the beginning of the year.

14. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Mar 21, 2016

Fun story:
    When I was in college, I was looking through my Kindergarten yearbook during break and found one of my sorority sisters (in 1st Grade at the time)!!
    We had gone to the same elementary school that year (I moved after Kindergarten) and didn't even know it until I saw it in the yearbook!

Backroads and czacza like this.
  15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 21, 2016

We had them at my previous school; I think they were $10. One of the teachers coordinated the entire project and it was a huge undertaking, but everyone loved them. Students were invited to submit artwork, each class designed a two-page spread, sports teams and clubs had their photos taken. Lots of candid pictures were taken on field trips, during special events like assemblies, and during class activities.

As others have said, ask that your daughter's photo not be included if that is your wish, and don't feel obligated to purchase a yearbook if they are for sale. It is, however, the "fun" that will often be remembered long after lessons are forgotten. Teachers and students spend a lot of time together and having the ability to have fun together is vitally important.

Backroads likes this.
  16. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 21, 2016

We have yearbooks, and I'm very glad for it. In the future, these years are going to fade much more than high school.