Elementary School Teacher with middle grade math license.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by renewak, Nov 16, 2018.

1. renewak

renewak New Member

Nov 16, 2018

About me: my initial teaching license will be in middle grades math (grades 6-8). After completing a state-approved preparation program and a clinical practicum or internship, may I also teach math for elementary students?

I am interested to teach in an immersion program in VA. Can I teach math for k-2 graders with the license for 5-9 mathematics major? If not, is there an additional certification exam I could take to make me eligible to teach K-2 grade math?

I look forward to your reply. Thank you for your time and help.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 16, 2018

In theory, a single subject license for a given grade span generally allows one to teach departmentalized classes in that subject matter in lower grades. In practice, however, while upper grades in elementary school can be departmentalized, grades K to 2 rarely are; I'd expect that you'd be required to have some kind of early-elementary math pedagogy course at the very least, and more likely a full elementary license. But I'm just guessing here. If your education department can't answer this question, you may need to take it up with the state DOE.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 16, 2018

Definitely check your state requirements since they do vary from state to state. It is also important to know the local district school makeup. Our schools are K-2, 3-5, 6-8, and 9-12. Our high school isn’t interested in the 5-9 candidates because they can’t teach anything above 9, and a small district like ours needs teachers who can teach multiple grade levels.

I have a 9-12 English degree, but I can teach grades 7-8 in a departmentalized school. My school also has sixth graders, and I can’t teach them. The 5-9 candidates also usually have a second emphasis, and I only have one. That limits where they can place me.

The only people I know who teach K-2 single subject are also certified in elementary (K-4). However, it is very rare to have a single subject teacher below 6th grade here unless it is an interventionist position.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  5. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Nov 16, 2018

I know in my state, a middle level license would not allow you to teach the subject outside of the grades your license specifies (at least without permission). Your license is always just for the specific grades you have passed all requirements for (so mine is K-6 Elementary Ed, 5-8 Math, K-12 Reading and I can teach any of those subjects within those grade levels).

6. Kelster95

Kelster95 Companion

Nov 16, 2018

In VA you will need to take additional classes to add an elementary endorsement to teach k-2 math, I don’t know if such a position would exist but who knows what goes on in Northern VA.