Elementary Reading Lab

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by brandi0718, Jul 18, 2009.

1. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jul 18, 2009

My principal is wanting our school to start a reading lab and she has asked me to help her get one up and going.....I have no idea how to do this....does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, my school is needing a lot more parental involvement and I was thinking that a family reading night would be a great idea......does anyone do this at their school and/or does anyone have any other ideas on how to get more parents involved? Please Help!

Thanks!

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 18, 2009

I'm trying to envision your definition of reading lab. Is this during class? After school? Certain nights a few times a year? Tutoring? Enrichment? Story Time? Activities?

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 18, 2009

P.S. Happy Birthday!

5. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jul 18, 2009

Thanks!

The Reading Lab will be for the students that are having trouble reading and they will do it several times a week throughout the year.....

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 18, 2009

-Definitely separate books into crates and set up a library. Definitely get the kids in the activity of authentic reading. Ask for donations for books or go to Goodwill/a good thrift store/a used bookstore.
    -Set up computers to websites that can guide the kids as readers. Will these just be first grade students? (As you say "1st Grade Teacher") http://www.tickettoread.com apparently is a neat site, though the school has to pay for it if they like it.
    -I would also have a lot of hands-on activities in folders or envelopes in crates. There are those plastic envelopes you can purchase at Wal-Mart that are awesome.
    -I would just make the room comfortable and inviting so the kids can get excited about reading. :)

7. Lionteacher

Lionteacher Companion

Jul 18, 2009

Family Reading Night

We will read a book, play some different reading games, and then end with bingo. We always give books away as prizes and offer different food. Our attendance is always higher if there is food, and I know my friends who teach inner city get massive attendance by parents if they offer food.

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 18, 2009

If you are doing tutoring, you need a structured tutoring program or some type of structure in mind.

If you are setting it up to encourage students to enjoy reading, etc., that's a different goal. Read Alouds, Buddy Reading, Literacy Games and Activities, etc. will be good additions.