Elementary Position...or pursue passion

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by atobeteacher, Jul 18, 2016.

1. atobeteacher

atobeteacher Rookie

Jul 18, 2016

Hello everyone,

I have a question I hope you can help me with. I am currently in an alternative certification program with Texas Teachers. I have an interview later this week with a school that has several openings (1st, 2nd, and 4th grade). I have spoken previously with the principal and I am 99% sure I will be offered a position. However it is at an elementary school.

While I have taken the test and considered 'highly qualified' for this position, my passion (and general experience) is working with high school students teaching Health. I have applied for the few Health positions I've seen posted and even emailed a few principals (with no response) except to notify me that a position had already been filled. Most positions require the combination of Health And PE teacher. In my area the test will not be available for me to take until August 10th. I understand school will be starting in about a month. There are also a only few health/pe/coaching positions.

So....my question is at this point should I take the job I will most likely get....or follow my passion?

3. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Jul 18, 2016

Take what you can get now. Apply next year after you take and pass the test.

4. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 18, 2016

Ditto, take what you can and pursue your passion next year.

5. Kat.

Kat. Companion

Jul 18, 2016

I don't have much advice, but your post caught my eye because I'm in the Texas Teachers program as well!

I have to agree with the above posters. It might not be ideal, but assuming this is your first job after the program, it might just be better to go ahead and take the elementary job. That way you're highly qualified AND have experience.

I'm not sure if you decided to take the unpaid student teaching job or the paid year long internship so I don't know what experience you have, but if I were in your position I'd probably just take the one you're offered. :)

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 18, 2016

My husband is a coach and used to teach health. Most schools have either gotten rid of or in the process of getting rid of health classes, which is a shame but that discussion is for another thread.

Many districts have new teacher orientation the week you would be testing for health or PE certification (not sure what you are testing in as that was vague). I would advise you to have your position locked down for next year by then. Backing out of a contract so close to the start of the year would be a really bad move so if you decide it is health or nothing, please turn down the elementary job.

Most ADs want to hire coaches that are versatile. If you are going to go for the health/coach route and don't get hired as such this year, I'd take the elementary school position for experience and a pay check. Then, contact the AD of your district and ask if you could volunteer to get some coaching "cred". I've always known the world of education is a small one, but the world of coaching is even smaller.

If you want health, you're going to have to be able to get the coach part of the job as well and I think that's the most difficult part of the equation.

7. Kat.

Kat. Companion

Jul 18, 2016

Are they really doing away with health classes?! That's frustrating for a number of reasons but as you said that's for another thread...I was considering getting certified in that area as well but I guess I won't bother!

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 18, 2016

It might be different for you if you aren't in Texas. It may even be different in north and east Texas. I just know central and south.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2016

I dunno....

In general I think it's best to get one's foot in the proverbial door however one can. At the same time, you're talking about a situation where you'd be teaching elementary instead of secondary. Those are two very different situations. For me personally, teaching elementary wouldn't be a thing that I'd do except as an absolute last resort.

10. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jul 19, 2016

We have 2 health teachers in my entire district. If you think you'd like elementary, this is the time to give it a try.

11. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jul 19, 2016

I think you should take the elementary position. I hate to be a negative nellie, but you might not even pass the PE test the first time. Then where would you be?

12. atobeteacher

atobeteacher Rookie

Aug 13, 2016

I am kind of grimacing as I type this, but perhaps you were all correct in that I should have went for the elementary position. A few days after my first post I received an email from an HR staff member at a district that I wasn't aware of that had a health position they were looking to fill. I was so happy and excited and thought it was serendipity! I applied and was contacted for an interview.
    The interview seemed to go well. However I got beat out and didn't get the position. (I believe they were looking/leaning more towards a male teacher).

Now about a week before school starts I am jobless...sigh. To make matters worse the school contacted me for a special education position. Interestingly enough I did not apply for special ed. This is not the first time schools have contacted me for sped when I haven't applied for it and actually applied for a different position. In fact I think for almost every school district I've applied for health positions, all but one have contacted me for special education positions instead.

I wanted to post to give everyone an update, but also to share my experience for others who may find themselves in a similar position. I'm not sure what route I'm going to take, but I'm still hoping to get something (besides sped) this school year. I didn't sign up to take the test in time for my area and now I can't even take the pe exam until about 2 months from now. However maybe that will open more doors for me. I am looking for other elementary jobs (especially outside of primary grades), but of course with school starting so soon the pickings are quite slim. Anyways, thank you Everyone for your advice.