Elementary Musicals

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by dianejw, Jul 27, 2004.

1. dianejw

dianejw Companion

Jul 27, 2004

I am looking for the names of any good elementary musicals or plays. It could be a Christmas musical/play or one for the spring. Has your school done any that were really good?

3. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jul 31, 2004

gonna have an earth day
    was done at my former school.
    This year, at my son's school they did: merrily bears.
    Its adorable and totally moral value of sharing etc..

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 31, 2004

Our 5th grade did an adorable play/musical last year. I don't remember the exact name, but I know that Santa and the elves went to Nashville and met Dolly Parton. Our music teacher does a musical every year, but it's one that she creates. Each grade gets an era. Fifth grade does the 80's, 4th does the 70's, 3rd gets the 60's, and 2nd gets the 50's. She included tv themes this year. It was great!

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 31, 2004

The K-1st program at the school I student taught at was an Oscars program for fairy-tale characters... it was REALLY cute... music but lots of spots for solos, speaking parts, or non-speaking starring roles (they do K-1, 2-3, and 4-5 for the musicals... every child in the older grade gets a special part, whether speaking, singing, etc).

6. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

7. dianejw

dianejw Companion

Aug 1, 2004

Thanks for all the great ideas everyone!

mommaruthie,

You had a few websites I hadn't found yet! Thank you!

8. musicteach

musicteach Companion

Aug 4, 2004

This past spring my kinder music classes performed "The Three Billy Goats Gruff". I can't remember the publisher right now, but the cassette/book was ordered from Popplers I think. Anyway, it was the neatest program I've ever done and fairly easy. Other teachers in my school brought Christmas trees to create the forest & a bridge was borrowed from the high school prom advisor. It was a big hit! With older students I've done "Santa's Holiday Hoedown" which was a light-hearted Christmas program. I've also done the youth version of Dicken's "A Christmas Carol". Only do that one if you have help and/or lots of practice time outside of school time. "A-Z Does It" is a cute program about the alphabet and the kids LOVED the music. A kindergarten class performed it, but I think it is better suited for 1st-2nd grade, because the lyrics were difficult. Students dressed up in sandwich board letter costumes.

My best advice is to look at popplers or jwpeppers and try anthing! Good luck!!!

9. Kaycee

Kaycee Guest

Sep 1, 2004

Presidents Day Play

I teach 1st Grade in NYC and I am going to have to do a play with my students on Presidents Day. I can't find anything. Does anyone have any suggestions?

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 2, 2004

Last year my 5th graders did a play for Presidents Day. It was about the history of the White House over time. Very short and sweet. It is in a Scholastic book of history plays. Look and see what they have for 1st graders. Also, I would look at old issues of Highlights magazine from that time of year.