Elementary Literacy

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Alicia Daniel, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Alicia Daniel

Alicia Daniel New Member

Feb 19, 2020

Hello! I am currently doing observations and need to ask elementary teachers interview questions about how they combine literature and the arts in the classroom. Currently all teachers in my part of the woods are at en-service and swamped with prep for that. Any help with these questions would be appreciated.

Could you give specific examples of how literature is used in the classroom including actual book titles and standards?

What art activities (dance, music, drama, art) are used in your classroom? Do they meet any literature standards?

3. Em B

Em B New Member

Mar 6, 2020

Reading time is important, especially with so many children using smart phones and playing apps and games before they are three or four. I've met people whose young children have tablets and other electronic devices, and those children have a noted disinterested in reading books.

I would suggest reading time in the classroom, and having each child read a paragraph from the book. Or reading time with students if they are younger. For younger children a focus on PBIS , reinforcing positive responses to make reading more rewarding for young students. Focus on literary books that reinforces positive ideas and behaviors:

Some suggested fun books for reading like:
    This book (you can find on Amazon or Barnes and Noble) - ISBN 978-1733445467

Asking students questions about the story and the behavior of the characters to keep them engaged and invested.

You can introduce serious discussion and books that covers topics the student can engage in to give them more ownership of the topic: You can find this book using the ISBN: 978-1733394703

Establish times of day: Reading time or music (singing) time. This of course is for younger children, not sure about the approach for older students.