Elementary Education is my Passion

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by futureteacher13, Jul 16, 2015.

1. futureteacher13

futureteacher13 Rookie

Jul 16, 2015

Hi there. When I started out on my journey to becoming a teacher, I'm not going to lie, I thought I wanted to be a middle or high school teacher. However, when I had to observe elementary school students and also when I worked with elementary aged students as a Para, I quickly discovered my passion for Elementary Education. I didn't receive a degree in Elementary Education; I received a BA in Social Science with a Concentration in Education in 2011. I'm currently working towards earning my teaching certification in Elementary Education K-6 with the hopes of becoming an elementary school teacher someday.

Don't get me wrong, I love children of all ages & have worked with middle school students for the nearly 6 years in Physical Education, but my heart is with the elementary school students.

Has anyone felt the same way I do? Has anyone ever taught in another age group before deciding to become an elementary school teacher? What ignited your passion for Elementary Education?

3. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Jul 16, 2015

I always thought I would like teaching high school, but volunteering in my own children's elementary school classrooms changed that. Then I thought I would like the upper elementary grades, but one week into a field placement in a first grade classroom changed that!

We can end up in some pretty amazing places, can't we?
    Sheilah

4. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

Jul 16, 2015

I thought I was going to teach Kindergarten and wouldn't touch middle school with a 30 foot pole, and now I won't sub anything under 3rd and LOVE subbing middle school. (I student taught 2nd grade and it was.... tedious. Every 2nd grade class I've been in since has been the same and it drives me up a wall. They mellow out a bit once they hit 3rd!)
    So yup. Definitely know the feeling. :)

5. misswteaches

misswteaches Companion

Jul 17, 2015

I wanted to major in special education, and I was annoyed when I realized that my degree program was a dual major that included elementary education. I didn't care about the elementary bit. I just wanted to be special ed certified.

But as it turns out I love elementary. A lot. I'm not opposed to teaching SPED someday, but for now I am completely content with elementary. :)

6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 17, 2015

Funny, I was the opposite. I enrolled in my program knowing I wanted to be an elementary teacher, but then I started working as a sped para. After my first semester in the elementary program, I transferred to the dual cert program so that I could be sped certified too. I've worked an equal amount of time in both now, and I love both! When I was job searching this past winter/spring, it was so hard to decide which one I'd rather do. I received an offer for both, and, in the end, sped won out... elementary sped, of course! :)

I do sometimes wonder how I might like middle school though...