elementary ed and English depts.

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Okieteacher, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Okieteacher

Okieteacher Rookie

Jan 9, 2005

Hi All,
    I'm in somewhat of a unique situation, and was hoping for some feedback. My BS is in elementary ed, and my MA in English. I'm currently working on a DA in English and proposing that I take the 12 required interdisciplinary hrs in literacy. My thought was that this would build on my 11 yrs elementary experience, and combine it with my college level teaching experience. I'm hoping this combination will make me marketable to elem. ed depts at colleges and universities as well as English depts. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

3. Maxine

Maxine Companion

Jan 22, 2005

Okieteacher,
    Have you actually taught in a classroom of your own? It is difficult to become inspired by a professor who is mostly theory. While earning teacher certification and now a Master's in Teaching at the U. of Massachusetts - Dartmouth, I have found that the profs were not only well-read and up-to-date, but they had plenty of experience to back up what they were teaching us to do in our own classrooms. Most often, especially in core curriculum courses, they taught us with the same methods they were promoting in the content. Effective communication is based on understanding and emotion. As we have been taught, experience is the best teacher.

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 22, 2005

Maxine,

I see you're from Mass. I live about 5 mins from UMASS Dartmouth and I am doing my student teaching in Fall River this semester. It's not very often I find people from our area on this forum!
    Sorry this is off topic! :)