Elementary December Behavior Management

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Backroads, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Dec 6, 2019

So... I was gone until yesterday this week. I therefore assumed my rather amped-up class was the result of my absence and the presence of a substitute. Yes, I realize December had started but surely it was the fact that I the teacher wasn't there. Right?

No, the entire school apparently suffered.

I know the December craziness is a bit of a hah-hah joke with a bit of truth, but yikes, it's totally happening this time around!

How do you muddle through?

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Dec 6, 2019

With grace under pressure, a good sense of humor, and an attempt to remember how exciting December can be, especially with Thanksgiving being so late, when you are less than 10 years old. Sounds easy, doesn't it? Helps if you accept that the timing of Christmas is just a little bit off, and thankfully it will be here sooner than we all think. Smile, endure, and breath a sigh of relief when the holiday break begins - easy, right?

Backroads likes this.
  4. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Dec 6, 2019

Wiggle breaks and positive reinforcement. I’m normally not into tangible prizes, but I put a special holiday candy jar on my desk to use at random times when I want to reward good behavior. It’s more special because I don’t normally do it.

I’m also reading them more stories than usual. My students love being read to. There’s not always time for it, but if it’s a story break versus a lesson that no one is listening to because they’re totally tuned out, I figure story break wins.

Backroads likes this.
  5. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Dec 7, 2019

Years ago, I realized how certain music impacts me. I started playing calm Christmas music quietly whenever I was not doing DI.
    It really is calming to me and in turn, it calms the kids. I kept it on so low that they'd have to be quiet to hear it. They often hummed along or sang to music very quietly while working.
    This is weird, but in my experience, the kids are not so rowdy in December. They tend to go "off the wall" in January after the break.