elem ed student needs a teacher to interview

Discussion in 'General Education' started by dmcnebr, Jul 29, 2009.

1. dmcnebr

dmcnebr New Member

Jul 29, 2009

I'm a student at University of Phoenix online and I had an assignment due on Sunday (26Jul) but the teacher I sent the interview questions to has never responded and my assignment is late! Help! I need one teacher to answer 5 interview questions regarding decision-making in the classroom. They are somewhat thought-provoking, so may take a little more than just 5 minutes to answer, but if anyone has the time, please help me to get this project in. Here are the questions; if I can get this turned in tonight or tomorrow, I'll still get a grade on it.

o What are some examples of typical, quick decisions teachers make on a daily basis?

o What were the 5 most difficult school-related decisions you made this week? What made them difficult?

o What was the impact of those decisions on the classroom environment? Were the decisions effective?

* What would you recommend a new teacher do (or what techniques should they use) to maintain control of the classroom and not let the students push the teacher's buttons?

* What do you find the most effective method of dealing with students who have a different learning style from the majority of the class (as pertains to keeping the lesson flowing smoothly and having minimal disruption)? :thanks:

3. iluvteachin

iluvteachin Rookie

Jul 29, 2009

I can only answer some of them but here goes:

o What are some examples of typical, quick decisions teachers make on a daily basis?

-how to adjust the lesson to make it more successful

o What were the 5 most difficult school-related decisions you made this week? What made them difficult?

it's summer so I haven't really made a lot of decisions... but I've done the following in the last 2 weeks:
    -decided what books we're reading this year - it's hard because I have a mixed class in my English class so the requirements are different for them all
    -decided on my math curriculum - it's hard because the students are below grade level and I don't want to overwhelm them but I want them to benefit from the class

o What was the impact of those decisions on the classroom environment? Were the decisions effective?

-can't really tell you since it's summer again :)

* What would you recommend a new teacher do (or what techniques should they use) to maintain control of the classroom and not let the students push the teacher's buttons?

-be firm - establish rules and adhere to them - do not let students take advantage of anything. it's hard at first, but they respect you for it later on

* What do you find the most effective method of dealing with students who have a different learning style from the majority of the class (as pertains to keeping the lesson flowing smoothly and having minimal disruption)?

-spending more time with them during individual working sessions... -allowing them to ask as many questions as necessary (as long as I feel it will benefit other students as well - if there isn't any benefits, I tell them I will answer them as soon as I am done with the whole class)

4. dmcnebr

dmcnebr New Member

Jul 29, 2009

Thank you so much for your reply! You have saved my skin. I see you're in Massachusetts - may I ask where? I spent my first three years in the Navy at NAS South Weymouth, which is now closed. I miss the location but I don't miss the cost of living up there! :)

5. Lionteacher

Lionteacher Companion

Jul 29, 2009

I hope this helps

6. iluvteachin

iluvteachin Rookie

Jul 29, 2009

:) fortunately my job pays somewhat well! :) I'm up in the Marlborough area. I teach in Newton though!

Hopefully next poster gave you some good answers as well but let me know if you need anything more. GL!!

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2009

dmcnebr: Next time, cover your bases! Don't wait until the assignment is falling apart and you are under the gun...You'll learn as a teacher, it's always good to have a 'back up plan'. :angel:

8. dmcnebr

dmcnebr New Member

Jul 29, 2009

Thanks for the advice - I'm always a day late and a dollar short but trying to get better at it. It's so hard working full-time, going to school full-time and taking care of a house and kids as a single mom - I think I'm going crazy! I really didn't expect my old teacher to let me down, but even now, on Wednesday night, I still haven't heard from him, even after I emailed him asking him to just confirm that he had received the questions!

9. dmcnebr

dmcnebr New Member

Jul 29, 2009

Lionteacher - Thank you as well for your response - you guys were both great in offering help on short notice. You make me look forward to becoming a teacher! It seems like there is a real camaraderie in the teaching community.

10. Lionteacher

Lionteacher Companion

Jul 29, 2009

Teachers I have found tend to be some the most generous with sharing ideas and generosity with helping each other out.