ELECTRONIC PORTFOLIOS

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by To Teach, Jul 17, 2007.

1. To Teach

To Teach Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

I was hoping that some one might explain to me what an electronic portfolio is and how does one start one, create one, etc. :thanks:

3. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2007

I assume that you're talking about an online portfolio. I had to do an online portfolio for my college. They even told us that no school will probably ever look at it, but we had to do it anyway. Even if you burn it onto a CD, most people wouldn't take the time to go to a computer and look at it. I think most interviewers would rather have a portfolio right in front of them to look at.

I did mine through my college, so I don't know how you would start one on your own.

4. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

I had to do one as well for my college and I used Frontpage because that was what was required of me. In all honesty, if you don't HAVE to do an electronic portfolio, I suggest doing a hands-on, binder portfolio.

If you HAVE to do an electronic portfolio, I suggest using frontpage and to keep everything simple by putting everything in one folder that is on your desktop.

5. Lindsey241

Lindsey241 Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

We used a program called LiveText. It was the way in which the university made sure we "mastered" all of the professional teaching standards for Illinois. A lot people had huge issues with Livetext, but I think it made it easier to create an electronic portfolio because everything was organized and all the standards were right there to access. If it wasn't required by my college, I probably wouldn't have made one. No one looked at my electronic portfolio other than my college professors. I have seen people who have made portfolio websites that look pretty impressive, but I have no clue on how to make one.

6. abequette

abequette Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

I HAD to use livetext to make an online portfolio as well. I don't really recomend making one unless your college/university is requiring you too though. I ended up priinting out my livetext portfolio and putting it into a binder just so I could have something physical to take with me to interviews. I thought that was better than telling the people interviewing me what website they could go to, to look at my portfolio.

7. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

I also did an e-portfolio for college. It's horrible, but no one but my advisor and I ever saw it... Stupid requirement, and my advisor also told me no one would ever take the time to look at the computer one, so I made a hard copy that is soooooo much nicer! Take the time you would spend on a e-folio and make a hard copy to take with you :)

8. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

I also did one in college, using Frontpage, I think. It's been so long and I haven't looked at it in a long time. We called ours Teaching Telefolios.

9. Occabacca

Occabacca Companion

Jul 18, 2007

WOW, i am completely thrown back by the number of people who are against e-folios, which showcases your grasp on technology.

I think that it shows a alot of talent for someone who can put one together. Plus when in an interview, you can leave a copy on cd for the team to view at their leisure. I have had only 2 interviews, and the one school was completely taken in by my e folio. I think the big binder is too much useless info that they never read. I'm sorry that is how i feel. It would take the interviewer at least 30-40 minutes to truely look through it and read philosophies, lessons, etc. And lets face it, the first intervieew is ussually 30 minutes long at most, and they are more interested in your answers to questions they're asking, not taking that time to leaf thru a binder that they have no interest in because of time limits. But if you have a cd with all the stuff that you have in your binder you can leave it and that sometimes will put you above the rest of the candidates.
    Sorry I am just thrown by the negativity on showcasing your technology abilities, in todays society with the fast growing technology use in the calssrooms.

To Teach
    Do it, make it, it can't hurt.
    If you are interested I have an e-folio template that I would be happy to share with you, pm me with your email address. it is pretty easy to use. I will also email you what I put into my miniportfolio.

Srry but the typos my 2 yr old son has to be right on top of me when i am trying to type

10. Occabacca

Occabacca Companion

Jul 18, 2007

What part of Pa are you from???

11. lupin43

lupin43 Companion

Jul 18, 2007

I find the e-portfolio is a waste of time. It's basically a webpage to showcase your abilities. I think the paper portfolio I had to make was also a waste.

When I graduated, I made my own interview portfolio with about 20-30 pages in it. I organized it and memorized the order. That way when I was asked a question, if a piece of evidence as in the portfolio, I could answer the question and flip to the page in the portfolio. I think it really worked. I got the first job I interviewed for.

I don't think that administrators would look at an e-portfolio or a hard copy left behind. I think the best way to use one is to incorporate it into the questions they ask. It shows that you know what's in there, what's important, and how to defend your answers on the spot. You have to create the portfolio with items that answer more common interview questions for this to work. I had lesson plans, note pages, pictures, student work, and sample projects in mine. I didn't waste pages with commentary because I knew that I would be stating the commentary, and I didn't want to be tempted to read from the portfolio.

12. Amers

Amers Cohort

Jul 18, 2007

I used LiveText, becuase that was the progam my college required. I didn't like it, but it's mostly because it cost sooo much money, and no one ever looked at it besides the graduation committee. I couldn't figure out how to get the finished portfolio on a CD, and I didn't think the program was that "user friendly," but that could have just been my experience. I ended up making a portfolio to place in a binder. No one looked at that either, but I still felt better having something to bring with me.

13. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 18, 2007

I used chalk & wire to create mine. Whenever I email my resume I put the link in the letter. I also have some on CD to give whenever I actually interview.

14. Sub2Teach

Sub2Teach Companion

Jul 18, 2007

It was not a requirement when I was in college, although it was optional as part of one of my classes. I can remember my professor saying if you are worried about possibly not finding a job right away, then she recommended you make one.

At the time, I didn't think I would have any trouble finding a full-time teaching position. Now, three and a half years out of college, I can see what she meant. I'm still trying to get a full-time teaching position in Illinois.

Anyway, I did make an e-portfolio in the hopes that it would help me land a position because I wanted to do something that would make me stand out in an interview.

I made mine with powerpoint. I actually got the idea from this forum. Anyway, i bought the 2003 powerpoint-microsoft student teacher edition online and made up teacher portfolio with links to all my documents/slides, so if they didn't want to view the whole presentation they could just view certain slides.

Anyway, once I finished it, I had my family and friends look at, then I burned it onto a cd. I used a cd labeler to design a cover for it.

If anyone would like information on how to go about this, I would be happy to help. Just pm me. I know how grateful I was to those of you on here who helped me when I had questions on making one for interviewing.

15. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 19, 2007

I have to make one for my master's program. I believe that there will actually be a course on it or at least it is a graded component of one of my courses.
    Administrators never ask to see a hard copy portfolio, I can't imagine them going online to check an eportfolio... too many applicants, too little time.

16. Occabacca

Occabacca Companion

Jul 19, 2007

no it is actually a cd that I either can drop off or give at an interview

17. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 19, 2007

Gotcha - I actually made up a cd that I sent out with my resumes last year. I didn't seem to get any response to it even though I thought it was a novel/eye catching idea!!