Electronic Gradebooks - what do you use?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by katenar, Jun 15, 2007.

1. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jun 15, 2007

Since I'm switching schools, I no longer have the free access to the electronic gradebook my old school supplied. It was Easy Grade Pro - which I absolutely loved. It allowed me to print out individual progress reports, missing work reports and password protect grades and put them online for parents to have easy access to.

I can buy Easy Grade Pro (for $50) but I was wondering what does everyone else use? What are the pros and cons of what you use?

3. lcr

lcr Companion

Jun 15, 2007

I used Easy Grade Pro and loved it as well. Now I use Gradequick, and I don't like it nearly as much. Go with Easy Grade.

4. AHB

AHB Rookie

Jun 15, 2007

I love EGP! I've used it for 2years now at school and on my palm and laptop. It's such a versitile program.

5. Gopher4

Gopher4 Comrade

Jun 15, 2007

We use Making the Grade. Very user friendly. I still keep a paper grade book as well.

6. akatiegirl

akatiegirl Rookie

Jun 15, 2007

I use Gradekeeper and I have to say that I do like it. I've used Easy Grade Pro, but it always created a new file with each save, which made it pretty confusing sometimes. Gradekeeper doesn't do that, and while you can't print off missing assignments, you can still print off reports about each student--including a list of all assignments. I definitely reccommend GradeKeeper. It's also a free download from the internet, though they ask you to pay after 30 days.

-Katie

7. pamms

pamms Comrade

Jun 15, 2007

I bought EGP myself (which I think was worht the money..love it!) but then I found out that I could have gotten it through the school. Not everyone has it at school just those who requested it, and heard thru the grapevine that it was avail. I guess (communication seems to be lacking). Anyway, I'd double check to see if it might be made available to you, then, if not, buy it.

8. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jun 15, 2007

I use Blackboard at the college, but I also put grades on Thinkwave because it's just so darn easy to use, and lets me print out letters and midterm grades with the touch of a button. Thinkwave is free, by the way.

9. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jun 15, 2007

I subscribe to Edhelper and use their free gradebook classbuilder. Personally, I love an onlie gradebook so that I can access grades both at home and school.

10. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 16, 2007

I use Teacherease. it's an online program. I love being able to access grades at home or school.

11. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Jun 16, 2007

I use engrade.com. Then, at the end of each grading period, I just print out the assignments and staple them into the gradebook that we have to turn in at the end of the year. And another bright note is that it is free.

Our district does have IG Pro, but I have no idea how to use it, and no one has shown us how to use it. From what I've heard from others, it's not very user friendly either way.

12. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jun 16, 2007

I use teacherease.com, too. You can print progress reports, missed assignements, etc. It's easy to use and you can use it anywhere because it's online. It's free for 1 yr, and if others sign up using your name, they add another 3 months free for each person. That being said, if anyone wants to sign up, let me know...I'll PM you my info so you can use my name.

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 16, 2007

Some one on here recommended www.engrade.com, it worked well for me this year.

14. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Jun 17, 2007

I just signed up for engrade. Can you print off missing assignments? I don't have a class list yet, so I'm not sure how to go about playing with it. I did have one I kept in Excel, but I can only access that at home. Thanks.

15. wig

wig Devotee

Jun 17, 2007

I have tried several but the one that seemed to do the most for me and was the most user friendly was "Making the Grade" (it did print off missing assignments for every subject on one page - either for all students or selected students).

I say "was" because the school decided to go with "PowerGrade" so parents could see it on line. It is NOT user friendly and very few parents ever use it.

16. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jun 17, 2007

Oh yeah, I forgot to add...you can also number your kids and have it set up to sort by number order. So if you number your students and someone comes in later and they are no longer in alphabetical order, it doesn't matter because the new student can be added to the end of the online gradebook as well as your paper one (if you keep one.)

17. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 18, 2007

I have used Gradebook Wizard which I liked a lot. Our school district is going to JPAM. We had an introductory in-service on it at the end of school year, and it seems to be very user friendly.

18. ~Nicole

~Nicole Comrade

Jun 18, 2007

When I was student teaching the district I was in used PowerSchool. I loved it and the parents used it often. It was a district wide application though.