Electrolysis

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MissWull, Apr 5, 2011.

1. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Apr 5, 2011

Has anyone tried it? My older sister did it several years ago, and my younger sister just started going. If you've done it, where did you have it done? Did it hurt? How many sessions did you have to go through? I've heard my sisters experiences, but I'd love to hear more.

Right now I do threading and with my calculations, I could get electrolysis done in 4 months time, for the cost of 1 years worth of threading. Difference is...electrolysis is permanent, which means after this initial cost, I won't have to spend anymore.

I'm just debating if I should do it, and if so if I should start it soon or wait for my birthday (September). Then my mom would probably buy me some sessions so I can save a few bucks! :)

The cost of beauty...*sigh*

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 5, 2011

I was going to do the laser hair removal but my dermatologist told me it didn't work and to do electrolysis but haven't gotten up the nerve. I wanted my lower legs to get done and I think the shin bone area would hurt so I haven't tried it.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 5, 2011

I've heard that the hair can grow back if you go through a big hormonal event like a pregnancy or something. I don't know if that applied to electrolysis or laser hair removal (I actually thought they were the same thing, not sure how they're different). It's worth looking into, though, just to make sure that it really is permanent.

5. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Apr 6, 2011

My boss has done laser on some areas, but for her eyebrows she did electrolysis (I don't think they'll laser that part). She had a baby a couple years ago and no hair grew back, but it could be different for everyone!

My sister's hair hasn't grown back either, and she did it maybe 10 years ago. I've heard laser hair removal isn't permanent like electrolysis, it's basically not guaranteed I guess.

I got up the nerve this morning and made an appointment though. Friday at noon! We'll see how this goes, eeek! :eek:

6. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Apr 8, 2011

Just thought I'd post an update after my appointment, in case anyone was considering this.

It wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be! I wasn't red or swollen at all after my 45 min session. Some of the hair removal stung when she did it, but most of it was ok. This coming from a girl who dreads getting shots, blood drawn, etc. If I can do it, anyone can do it! I probably have about 7 more sessions to go. Not bad considering I'll never have to thread my eyebrows again! :)

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 10, 2011

I always said that if I won the lottery, I would have full body electrolysis - except head and eyebrows of course. Just get rid of it all! lol.

Glad the experience was good for you.

8. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Apr 10, 2011

I would love to get this done on my bikini line. I'm going to look into it.

9. worrywart

worrywart Companion

Apr 10, 2011

How many hairs can they take out in a session? Isn't it one by one?

10. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Apr 10, 2011

Yea I think it is one by one.

11. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Apr 10, 2011

Yes it is one by one. She puts the probe in the hair follicle for about 5 seconds then plucks it out. But it depends how much she can remove because there are 15 min, 30 min, 45 min and 60 min sessions where I go. I went to a 45 min session and she got 90% of the hair, only the fine ones are left.

My sister is doing her bikini, she's gone twice for 45 min sessions and one side is done, well until the next cycle of hair comes in.

12. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Apr 10, 2011

I didn't know there was a difference between laser and electrolysis hair removal. Good to know! BTW, I heard that threading hurts really bad. Is that true?

13. worrywart

worrywart Companion

Apr 10, 2011

I have got to get this done asap lol :)

My son got threaded once (eyebrows) and was not crazy about the pain. I've heard that it gets better after a few times.

14. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Apr 10, 2011

What do you mean the next cycle of hair comes in?
    I know they said on the website it may not be permanent for people with dark, coarse, or curly hair.

Also I have had my eyebrows threaded and it does not hurt. Waxing to me hurts more. Also threading just made my eyebrows itch really bad afterwards.

15. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Apr 10, 2011

Threading: It depends. Honestly I've gone to about 4 different salons and tried many different people in those salons and only a couple girls caused almost no discomfort. It's not really 'painful' but it's a little uncomfortable. Also the reaction depends, my mom always looks red after...but my sisters and I have no after-effects (we're olive skinned, maybe a little lighter).

There are several 'cycles' of hair growth. You have to get all the cycles in order for there not to have hair grow again. If you thread (or wax maybe, even though I don't so I'm not certain) you notice different hair growth when it comes in..or at least I can. Some cycles grow in with a lot of gaps and are thicker, other cycles grow thicker but are fine hairs. Like I said, how your cycle grows in depends!

16. stargirl

stargirl Companion

Apr 10, 2011

I had electrolysis done for my upper lip a number of years ago and was pleased with the (so far, permanent) results. The electrologist recommended 15 minute sessions, since that area is very sensitive ( I admit it was painful, but not unbearable for the 15 minutes). As long as you put an ice-pack on the area for 20 or so minutes right after the treatment, the redness will fade. I don't know much about laser hair removal, but I have heard the results may not be permanent.

17. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Apr 10, 2011

I would never do electrolysis. I tried it a couple years ago (once) but it was the most painful thing I've ever experienced and left me with marks by my lips.

So, I switched to laser, and would do that 100%. I have done my upper lip which is basically complete except I want 1 more done for all my hair gone (I'm picky) and 1-2 more times for underarms. Although laser hurts, it's much easier than doing hair by hair of electrolysis esp if your pain tolerance is low. Laser nis so quick and if you use numbing cream (which I always do) it helps a little.

I do threading for eyebrows and love how it looks. It did hurt in the beginning, but now doesn't hurt that much. Each time it seems like I have to tweeze in between less and less. Been doing this for a few years now.

18. Simba

Simba Comrade

Apr 10, 2011

How much were you charged for laser?

How much for electrolysis?

Is is worth it?

19. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 10, 2011

I guess everyone is different. People here have said that it doesn't hurt at all or is maybe slightly uncomfortable, but for me it was absolutely horrible. I had tears in my eyes the whole time, involuntary tears because it hurt so bad. It was a sharp pain that never dulled throughout the entire procedure. I've gotten my eyebrows threaded a number of times because they always tell me that it won't hurt as bad if I keep doing it, but it always hurts just as bad as it did the first time. I might just have very sensitive brows. I hate plucking, as well. That can be extremely painful too.

I'll stick with eyebrow waxing. The pain associated with that is mild compared to the threading, plus it only lasts for half a second.

20. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 10, 2011

I'd like to know more info about pricing as well.

21. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Apr 12, 2011

Where I go the prices are as follows:
    15 min = $25
    30 min = $35
    45 min = $45
    60 min = $55

I consider my pain tolerance to be low to mid level. My husband thinks I'm a baby about most pain haha. So I was even surprised that it didn't hurt that much.

I asked her what area is the most painful and she said the upper lip is normally very sensitive. So far I've only had my brows done, so I'm not looking forward to the upper lip treatment! We'll see how that goes!