electric stove??

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by love2teach, May 9, 2009.

1. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

May 9, 2009

Does anyone cook with an electric stove?
    We are considering moving to a new home with one and I have never cooked with it and have only heard bad, bad things!!!

Also,with no gas in the neighborhod, propane would be the only option if I wanted gas. Does anyone have this?? Pros/cons?!

Thanks!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 9, 2009

I cook with an electric stove...I can only compare it to my mom's cooking on a gas stove. I don't see any difference, and no complaints from the husband.

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 9, 2009

Oh my. I have an electric range. And, yes, there is a difference. I love gas. It cooks faster and is easier to control the heat. I find it amazing that you have never had electric. Is it an area thing, or just by choice?

5. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 9, 2009

Love my electric. I will never blow up.

6. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

May 9, 2009

Not a choice, just the way it has always been. My parents have it, had it in college, and where I live now has it...honestly, it is all I know!

I find it to be a mixed bag between gas and electric in homes around here.

I have heard of people who HATE going from gas to electric and I am very nervous!!

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 9, 2009

I've always had electric, too. No problems...

8. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

May 10, 2009

We have a flat-top electric stove and I love it. The heat is very easy to adjust. We don't have gas lines here and my husband refuses to have a bomb right outside our house, so no propane.

Something I just thought of...
    Our heat is also electric and it is very expensive during the winter. Is the house you're looking at electric heat also? Something to consider.

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  9. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

May 10, 2009

I've only ever had electric and it has been fine. I can't compare it to gas, though.

My only complaint with my glass top range is that it does take a while for the burners to warm up. I don't know if that's a universal issue with this type or if it's just mine.

Gas makes me nervous. Although we do have gas heat.

10. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

May 10, 2009

We have electric. In our last house we had gas and I grew up with gas. When we bought this house I wanted the flat electric top. It is fine, heats up quickly, cooks just fine, heat adjusts just fine. In my next house I could go either way, gas or electric. I don't see any big difference.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 10, 2009

I've always had electric and I love the new stove I got this past winter.

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 10, 2009

I went from gas to electric. I don't like it. Here, gas is uncommon. I have gas heat and a gas water heater, so I am having a gas line run this summer and getting a gas stove.
    I have gotten better at using an electric stove, but I still miss gas.

Someone mentioned electric heat being expensive. My apartment (where I had electric heat) was WAY cheaper to heat than my house with gas. I know I went from an apartment to a house, but I went from a 900 SF apartment to a 1200 SF house (not a huge difference). I moved about 10 miles away, so climate has nothing to do with anything. In the apartment, my electric bill was $50-60 in the winter. Here, my gas bill has been about $80-100 in the winter, plus my $30-40 for electricitiy. So, for me, electric heat was way cheaper. It was a brand-new apartment, so that may have had something to do with it. (and, I will note, I live alone and am very energy-concious. I know my utility bills are cheaper than most people's.)

13. frogger

frogger Devotee

May 10, 2009

I have electric and have no problems.

14. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 10, 2009

I've only known electric and have no problems with it. Come to think of it, I only know 1 person who has gas....

15. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 10, 2009

I grew up with an electric stove, but we have gas stoves at the restaurant. I like gas better - much easier to control the heat. I find I burn things more often with the electric stove. Or maybe I'm just horrible at cooking rice, but I can never seem to get the proper simmer temp on an electric.

Also - we had an gas water heater in one home vs. an electric heater in another. You would not believe how much cheaper it is to have gas.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 10, 2009

When you are used to a gas stove, electric can be frustrating. Gas ranges give you more precise temperature control, are more expensive than electric models to buy, but are cheaper to run. Gas range burners let you heat things up in minutes.. Gas always seems to me to be more 'responsive'- if I turn down the dial a bit, the gas flame is immediately lowered...by the nature of electric coils or the electric 'smooth top' ranges tend to hold heat and are slower to respond to a change in the dial setting for lowering the heat under a pot...Most rentals I ever lived in had electric ranges...I learned to deal with them but when I bought houses, gas ranges were a priority.

17. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 10, 2009

I've had both, and I currently have electric. I prefer gas, by far, but electric really isn't that bad. It's not as "intuitive" so it takes a little getting used to.

18. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 10, 2009

I always had gas at my parents' home and now I have electric. I really don't notice much of a difference. I think I actually like electric better.

19. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

May 10, 2009

I've always used an electric stove. I like the flat "glass" surface kind so you just clean up a flat surface instead of the coils, etc.

20. Kase

Kase Companion

May 10, 2009

I've always used electric as well. My dad had gas and I was always afraid I would blow the house up or set it on fire or singe my eyebrows off.

21. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

May 10, 2009

If you can buy a new stove, you might like induction. Talk about precise temperature control!

22. becky

becky Enthusiast

May 10, 2009

I have an electric smooth top.
    When we bought the house, the couple living here cooked with butane and heated with a heat pump. Heat pumps should be banned north of Florida! We froze each winter till we got a gas furnace.

23. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

May 10, 2009

I was used to cooking on a gas range all my life until I moved into my first apt with an electric stove and I hated it. When ex and I bought mobile home I was very excited to have gas again. Then we separated and I rented a house that was all electric and once again I hated it. I have to agree with the PP who said that her winter bills were much higher. Later I bought a home with gas stove and I am much happier. My gas and electric bill are lower in my home than the electric bill at the rented house and my house is much bigger at least 800-1000 square feet bigger. Give me gas, any day!!!!

24. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 10, 2009

Just a note on the heating/cooling costs in an apartment vs. a house. A house of the same size will ALWAYS be more expensive to heat and cool simply because it's exposed to the outisde on all sides. The cost of heating or cooling an apartment can vary greatly depending on where it's located within the building. A corner unit on an upper floor will be quite a bit more expensive than an inside unit on a lower or middle floor, simply because the inside unit doesn't have as much surface exposed to the outside. In essence, the apartments surrounding an inside unit insulate it, keeping the heating and cooling costs significantly lower.

25. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 10, 2009

Oh, I know that affects it, too. But, I did actually have a corner top-floor apartment with an open hallway. So, 3 of the 4 sides of my apartment were exposed- I only shared one wall. And, my building (and aparment) was at the edge of the complex, not in a courtyard or something. When I moved, my utilities doubled which I was shocked about since it was going from electric to gas. I expected an increase- but not a 100% increase!!