Electric pencil sharpener

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ChristyF, Dec 6, 2010.

1. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 6, 2010

I know this has been done to death on here, but I'm hoping someone has some new insight. Or, that someone has found a miracle-working pencil sharpener. I hate pencils. Or rather, I hate sharpening pencils. I'm back to doing it manually, because the electric bit the dust after only 2 1/2 six-weeks. :help: I need one that will at least last the year! Suggestions, ideas, ......anything? :)

3. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Dec 6, 2010

I don't let my kids use mine. I sharpen the pencils, and they trade theirs in for a sharp one.
    The kids tend to oversharpen their pencils and burn the motor out, so it's hands off, permanently.

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 6, 2010

I only have a manual, but I made it a daily job to sharpen the bucket o'pencils...

5. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Dec 7, 2010

I adore this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00006IEI3/ref=mp_s_a_22?qid=1291702356&sr=8-22

It was on sale for around $100 last year and has a 12 year warranty. The motor has a two or three year warranty and here's tge great thing - is replaceable. This sharpener has made it thru 140 8th graders last year and is still ticking strongly this year. I wish I would have purchased it sooner.

6. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Dec 7, 2010

http://stores.ebay.com/Classroom-Friendly-Supplies_W0QQsspagenameZMEQ3aFQ3aSTQQtZkm?refid=store

I got one of these and it is fantastic. It is very quiet and the kids LOVE the sharp point it makes. It sharpens so well they sharpen their pencil much less. I need to get a new one because the one I have got dropped by one of my kiddos but they provide a clamp to keep it from moving and I did not use it. I think they have a warranty that I may be able to use, but it is only $15 with shipping if I remember correctly.
    THe one downside, I noticed sometimes the kids would oversharpen the pencil and the point would fall out of their pencil but the kids eventually figured out it only takes a few turns of the handle to sharpen.

7. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Dec 7, 2010

I've got one that I love that has lasted about two years now (but I also don't let the kids sharpen). The thing about mine that I like is that it stops sharpening and a little light goes off when the pencil is sharpened... so no continuing to shove an already sharpened pencil even further into it!

8. David Brown

David Brown Rookie

Dec 7, 2010

I think students should use the pacer pencils that don't need sharpening, the students just click more out when they need it.

9. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Dec 8, 2010

I bought a small battery operated pencil sharpener a few years ago for my desk, and I ended up using it for the whole year instead of the plug in one because it worked so well. They were on sale again at Staples at the beginning of the year so I bought 4 more. I have one at my desk, one on each side of the room next to the pencil baskets, and one a home. I gave one to my sister for her four kids. The original one is still working and I can't see ever spending $30-$70 for what a $5 pocket sized machine handles perfectly.

10. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Dec 8, 2010

Last night I bought three new manual ones for .99 each to replace the three I got for .05 each a few years ago! :lol: We mostly use pens so those work fine for me.

11. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Dec 9, 2010

MsMullenJr - which pencil sharpener (brand) do you use?

12. Daisie

Daisie Rookie

Dec 10, 2010

Hi Christy F!
    I'm a fan of the Xacto SchoolPro sharpener- I had actually bought it for my own personal use a while back, and it's been great! It's designed for wear and tear from smaller kids, and it's one of the few sharpeners that doesn't get pieces of graphite stuck in the blades (that can be a real pain when the sharpener jams). When my co op teacher's sharpener bit the dust, I suggested she try this one and so far there haven't been issues with it.

You can buy it at Staples for about $70- they've hiked up the price since I bought mine, but IMO it's still a great deal for a
    quality sharpener.

-Have a great day :)

13. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Dec 10, 2010

I think I have the same one as Daisie. I bought mine from Classroomdirect.com for about $35. I think it's around that price on Amazon. I really like it.

I used to have a classroom job be sharpening the pencils (with the manual sharpener). But this year I've been having a lot of trouble with the manual sharpener. So I sharpen pencils every morning with my electric sharpener. I just have dull and sharp baskets for kids to exchange pencils. I think one problem is that the pencils are a little cheaper. They just don't seem like they're good quality at all.

14. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Dec 11, 2010

I agree! My team brings up this issue every few weeks. We have never had such poor pencils!

15. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 11, 2010

Thanks for all the suggestions! I agree on the pencils. I have a tub full that the kids brought, and I'm having to throw about 1/3 of them away. When you look at the bottom, the lead is so off center you end up getting a wooden point on the pencil. It's ridiculous!

16. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Dec 11, 2010

Mine have erasers that fall out, and sometimes they won't sharpen(we get the wooden point as well).