Elective Classes

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by deedee, Mar 28, 2010.

1. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Mar 28, 2010

We are revamping our middle school and adding elective classes. What types of classes do you offer?
    What seems to be successful?
    How many periods do you have a day?
    Do you get a planning period every day?

3. glen

glen Companion

Mar 29, 2010

We did this last year for our middle school. We're very small, so the offerings had to be limited. We opted to allow the kids to choose two electives, each on lasting half a year. Home Ec has been a HUGE hit. The kids love cooking, typing up their own recipes books, and bringing their goodies home. The teacher who runs the home ec class also taught them to sew buttons, hem, and iron. The other offerings were a half year of computer skills (slide shows, spread sheets, research, etc.) and the second half is braodcasting/jounalism. The kids are currently working on a news program and an accompanying newpaper. They are even writing and adding commercials to the news program!

Currently, we meet twice a week for electives. One period is shorter, about 40 minutes, the other is about 70 minutes. We plan on meeting about the same number of times per week next year, but expanding to include the 5th and 6th grades. Next year, we plan on offering home ec, drama, puublic speaking, and something revolving around running a business/opening a school store (this one is in the very early planning stages).

As for your other questions, our schedules are in flux for next year. We went to a modified block schedule for 7th and 8th this year. Everyone likes it better than 6 45-minute classes per day. Next year, we're combining some things because our enrollment is down. 7th and 8th grade will most often have 60 minute classes with some 45 or 70. The younger ones will have mostly 45 minute classes with one or two 60 minute classes per day. We're a small private school, so we tend to have lots of flexibility in scheduling.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 30, 2010

For years we offered two electives per day. We offered two four-class rotations. Art, music, PE, computers, shop/tech ed, health, and humanities. We also had year-long classes in chorus and band that took the place of one of the four-class rotations.

We had a six period day. Some years we had two planning periods, and other years we had one.

Currently we only offer health, PE, art, music, technology, chorus, and band. We get one planning per day, and the kids have one rotation.

5. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Mar 30, 2010

I wouldn't refer to art, music etc as an elective...BUT I would offer to have it LONGER as an elective. All kids should be having these period. But to give the kids who REALLY love it an option would be fantastic!

I teach elementary....but other options/ideas?
    Dance of some sort
    Drama, think I saw it from a pp.
    Creative Writing/Poetry if not already a class
    Photography
    Graphic Design/Photoshop/Video making etc.

I know when I was a freshmen in highschool we had an elective class...That really focused on the holocaust. I can't remember the name of it. I never had room to take it..but everyone LOVED this class.

6. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Mar 30, 2010

thanks guys!

Samothrace- I would love to teach a class that covers a century of genocide- the kids are so facinated by this and it would open their eyes that the horrible treatment didnt just happen in the holocaust.

The kids would LOVE LOVE a FCS class they love cooking!
    I am so excited to add the different classes to our day it will make my day a little less monontonous.

One of our teachers is an great artisit so she offered to take on an additional art class for students who want that :)

glen are you able to teach any of the elective classes?

7. glen

glen Companion

Mar 31, 2010

I taught the computer class last half of the year and I'm teaching the broadcasting one this half. We're just using a little Flip video camera to film pieces. Right now, the kids are working on a bullying piece trying to demonstrate to other kids what actions to take if they witness bullying.

Next year, I'll teach the one that focuses around a school store idea. We'll be in a restructured format next year because of low enrollment, but the new structure will actually allow us to offer more electives to more students. Next year's classes are very excited about it!

8. renaissancegirl

renaissancegirl Rookie

Apr 15, 2010

Drama is always nice...:)

Right now, I am an 8th grade drama teacher. This is my first year doing it. I am only part-time at my school. I only teach two 50 minute class bells a day. I am teaching Middle Years Program kids of the IB program. It is a year-long class because they get a high school credit for it.

However, next year, it won't be a high school credit anylonger. This is for various reasons. Because of this, there is less interest because the high school credit was a big draw to sign up for the class.

Consequently, we currently only have enough students enrolled to fill one class bell right now.

I think I may be looking for another position. I need full-time employment.

I used to teacher in private school...for about 12 years. But, I taught elementary school children at that time...not drama. :)

RG

9. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Apr 16, 2010

As a FACS teacher I of course have to put in a vote for FACS :).

Can't help with the schedule part though, I'm at a high school and we have 5 80-minute blocks.

10. shelceygirl

shelceygirl Rookie

Apr 17, 2010

Band and choir are full-year electives. If not a music student, students take four from the following list:

Spanish
    Shop
    Home Ec.
    Art
    Leadership
    Mentorship
    Creative Writing
    Drama

11. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 17, 2010

Journalism - the kids wrote and published the school newspaper. They really enjoyed learning about it and the rest of the school *loved* reading it :)

12. KatieC

KatieC Rookie

Jul 7, 2010

I work at a small school (K-12) and our middle and high school teachers all teach one elective outside of the "Specials" classes that the students take (art, PE, technology, and Spanish). Some examples of our elective classes:

Student Council/Leadership (which I teach)
    Knitting
    Study Hall
    Jewelry
    Bowling (for our high schoolers- it's off campus)
    Ultimate Frisbee
    Nutrition
    Ski Conditioning
    Pottery
    Photography

We actually let the students weigh in on what they'd like to have offered and then ask the staff to try to meet the requests. It works out very well. We've had many other classes like skateboarding, golf, drama, etc. It's really up to the kids and their interests.

13. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2010

Our kids have:
    Multiple drama options (different each quarter)
    Multiple music options (bucket band, guitar, electronic music)
    Multiple art options (different each quarter)
    FACS
    Woodworking
    Peer Helper (in the special needs classroom)
    6th graders take keyboarding
    7th graders have a service learning class for 1 quarter

We have a team of elective teachers who teach these classes. Students have elective AND PE every day. Electives change every 6 weeks for 6th graders and every quarter for 7th & 8th graders.

14. KaseyAutumn

KaseyAutumn Rookie

Aug 2, 2010

Well the school I work with, offers the students elective courses including; drama,art,chorus,dance,French,Spanish,career decisions,keyboarding, and business technology. For the upcoming school year they have added journalism and yearbook ( I can't wait to see how that goes!). Usually the art classes (art,drama,chorus,dance) seem to be the most effective, because it requires less memorization and more acting. Students tend to be more cooperative and enjoy those classes more. In a day we have 5 periods, and We have planning everyday during the block our students are in elective classes.

Health and P.E. are a required course! Each are practiced every other day for a quarter of the school year.