Election in Iran

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Iowa_Teacher, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Jun 14, 2009

Is anyone else "following" this? I write that in quotes because I am a self-professed idiot on all things politics, but from what I understand, there was an election between the incumbent President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and a reformist Mir Hussein Moussavi. Supposedly Moussavi won (they even called him to TELL him he won), but they soon announced Ahmadinejad as president only 2 hours after the election finished (who counts votes that quickly??) Hopefully they follow what their citizens voted, but who knows? There is also a campaign asking people to wear green tomorrow (Monday 6/15) to support freedom in Iran. Any opinions?

3. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2009

They need a recount!
    Rebel1

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 15, 2009

All I keep thinking about this when I read about it is we could have had the same thing happen here 8 years ago. And on the one hand, I am glad we live in such a peaceful country. On the other, it makes me wonder how apathetic Americans are. Those people SHOULD be upset if their candidate really won.

5. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jun 15, 2009

I have been following it. I watched the dateline a couple Sundays ago when Anne Curry was in Iran. It was really interesting. They are just like us. I am so proud of them for protesting and speaking their mind. Maybe some change will come, I heard there was violence today.

6. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Jun 15, 2009

Apparently one protester has been killed. I follow world events/politics pretty closely and had a feeling that this was going to happen.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2009

Some of the people on the streets may be 'just like us', but Iran is not like the US at all.

8. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jun 15, 2009

They have jobs and families and wants and needs just like us! I didn't mean the country!!! I am not that stupid! But many of them want some freedoms that we have. Watch her Dateline program, it was very enlightening.

I just hope it doesn't end like Tiananmen Square did.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2009

I didn't say you were stupid..just expressing an opinion (which IS what you asked for in your first post!!) . I DID say many of the people on the street may be just like us...on the other hand, here's what Amnesty International has to say about what really goes on in Iran:
    http://www.amnestyusa.org/all-countries/iran/page.do?id=1011172
    And the Council on Foreign Relations:
    http://www.cfr.org/publication/9362/
    I worry about the possible repercussions that could be faced by those who protest...yes, Tiananmen Square comes to mind...especially when you consider only those who are approved by the 'mullahs' even get to run for office...don't even get me started on treatment of women....

Sure, people all over the world want to be free, enjoy the liberties and justice we in the US consider our God-given rights. I'm thankful everyday that I am a US citizen-born and bred. Yes, in those ways- basic wants and needs, we are alike. The atrocities and treatment faced on a daily basis by people in other countries could keep you awake at night-
    I have a child in my room with an Iranian parent. The dad and I have had several interesting discussions about his birth country and his travel there on business, what the people 'on the street' are like....very enlightening.
    My husband has served on US Naval vessels in the Persian Gulf- I am well-versed in the political climate of the region.
    I don't need to be enlightened, I'm quite aware, thank you.