Elapsed time, how to teach!

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by heavens54, Nov 25, 2008.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Nov 25, 2008

Any ideas on ways to teach this for my class? Anything will be helpful. My kids just aren't getting it.

3. daizie75

daizie75 Rookie

Nov 25, 2008

Kids aren't getting it because it is not developmentally appropriate. It is ridiculous to have this objective in 3rd grade. That being said we still have to teach it until the powers that design the SCOS learn what is developmentally appropriate at different ages. I find a T chart works best. First have them add minutes to get it to an even hour. Next add additional hours and minutes.

4. NYSTeacher

NYSTeacher Companion

Feb 12, 2009

Elapsed time is certainly not developmentally appropriate for 3rd graders. Thankfully N.C. is removing it from the SCOS.

Anyway, here is how I teach it.

I teach them how to read elapsed word problems. Whether it's hour many hours or minutes have gone by or is it asking how long something happened for.

I have my students make what I call, a "Math Timeline". If they need to figure out how much time has gone by from 8:00am till 11:45. I tell them to make 8:00 the start time (the first time). And then to add one hour increments (and actually make a curved line) to count the hour and write 1hr. inside the curved line. They do this until they get to the end and when they run out of adding 1 hour increments they break the time down into smaller chunks.

They still have A LOT of trouble with it and we spend hours working on it but eventually many of them get it.

5. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

Feb 16, 2009

I struggle with this concept every year. I totally agree that it is not developmentally appropriate for third graders and I'm very happy that it is being removed from our new curriculum.

A while back someone on here posted a link to some 'rulers' that could be used to measure elapsed time. You may want to do a search. If you can't find it, you can PM me because I think I saved a copy on my computer. Good luck!