ELA Teachers -- How Strict Do You Grade Essays?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Teaching_101, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Teaching_101

Teaching_101 Companion

Dec 17, 2009

As an editor, I go into miniature spasms every time I see a grammatical mistake on the page. However, I am fully aware that correcting every mistake on a student's essay is way too time consuming at the high school level.

I merely want to grade hard enough to let the students know how they can improve future drafts without overwhelming them with corrections and making them lose interest in writing altogether.

What are your strategies for this?

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Dec 17, 2009

That's something we struggle with constantly, I think. Have you read Kelly Gallagher's Teaching Adolescent Writers or Penny Kittle's Write Beside Them? Lots of good stuff in there. It's so hard to control that pen when we see those errors, but the students just ignore them, especially on a final draft, unless we can hold them accountable for not making the same errors again. A couple of my colleagues have students create index cards with the mistakes that were identified in a first essay that has to be turned in with the second to show that they were aware of those problem areas. Hope that makes sense!

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 17, 2009

I love this idea!

5. Teaching_101

Teaching_101 Companion

Dec 17, 2009

I think that is an incredible idea, Mrs. K.

I had a professor do something similar to that this semester: she gave us a worksheet along with our graded essays, and the worksheet had a long list of errors (with page references to our textbook on how to correct them), and we were required to do three different exercises that "corrected" the mistake and also list two additional outside sources we referenced.

Maybe something similar to this could help in the high school setting?

6. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Dec 17, 2009

One key thing to making this work is making sure kids keep up with the steps leading to the final essay. That is a whole other topic but important for sure!