ELA Teachers-How do you use data?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by nstructor, Jul 22, 2022.

1. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Jul 22, 2022

After students take a standardized test like MAP, Benchmark tests, STAR, etc. . .we are supposed to be able to decipher how the student struggled in reading. To me, that's always difficult because if you score low in vocabulary, your comprehension will be low too. If a student scores low in summarizing, once again, their vocabulary and comprehension are low too. For example, math teachers can see if a student scores low in geometry, but does well in addition. For reading, it's always hard for me to do this! Thanks for your help!

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 22, 2022

Which baseline test are you using? I've worked with both MAP and STAR. I start with the student's Lexile according to their results and find texts within that range. If your school doesn't have access to Achieve3000, I can also recommend Common Lit as a place to find short reading pieces and responses. Once I can bring the reading comprehension to the student's level, I then use that to slowly build and strengthen.

4. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Jul 22, 2022

I love commonlit! At my school, we're asked what standard in ELA the student struggled in to achieve a low score. To me, that's really hard to answer, because in ELA, there are so many standards, and you can't just focus on one!

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2022

I always found that ELA standards are so interconnected that it is hard to separate them as much as a lot of people seem to thing we need to. I liked IXL because it targeted specific skills. I was able to assign a skill based on the main standard for the week, and kids who didn’t meet benchmark could be given additional activities in that standard.

nstructor likes this.