ELA - Quiet Independent Activities

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by lvnlife287, Dec 15, 2008.

1. lvnlife287

lvnlife287 Rookie

Dec 15, 2008

Any good suggestions? :)

3. wig

wig Devotee

Dec 20, 2008

Do you have any computers in your room? There are lots of ELA games on line. This is one I put together for my classes

http://guest.portaportal.com/langarts

We have three computers in the room. Each week I put a checklist up of the games they may play during the week. They are not allowed to play more than ten minutes at a time. I rotate them through the computers during work time, otherwise my slower workers would never get on.

I also have a pile of madlibs they can do when finished with their work. I change the type of word a bit to phrases, or a vivid verb instead of just a verb,etc. to make the stories more interesting. These get posted on the bulletin board so that others can read them. On Friday they get to vote for the most interesting story and that gets hung at the top of the board with a blue ribbon on i.

4. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Dec 20, 2008

Read from a self-selected novel. I don't know what level reading group you have, but all should be reading independently from something. There are lots of different level books out there.

Also writing to a prompt--have several suggestions so that they can choose. Some teachers don't like the idea of having a prompt, but our writing test is geared to that, so it's necessary.

Computer review games--make a list or put them in the one wig suggested.

projects such as creating gameboards with a book in mind, peepboxes, etc. There are lots of resources out there for "book reports" that are creative.