ELA organization

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by 773 Miles Away, Jun 3, 2009.

1. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Jun 3, 2009

I am going to be teaching ela next fall and I'm trying to start planning now. I'd like to organize it like I organize my math where most of the time we do a 90 min block with 3 30 min rotations. I'm thinking that I could work with a small group each rotation, and have the second group do silent reading, and the third group do a center.

Does that sound ok? Any suggestions?

I'm wondering what kind of centers I can design, however, that a group can work on for up to 30 min..... Thoughts?

3. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2009

Switching disciplines can be exciting!

Centers work best if you allow students to rotate away from a center when finished, and do not make a faster student wait for slower members of the group. Just have a limit on the number of students in a center at one time.

And 30 minutes might be too long a time period for a center. Try making each center less than 20 minutes each.

4. tgim

tgim Habitué

Jun 4, 2009

You could do 4 20-minute blocks, with a 5 minute intro and a 5 minute debrief at the end. You might like to try a tic tac toe board for your center activities, and fill it with 9 activities that relate to your theme/story/skills for the week. Have the students ALL to the middle block (usually for us it is an activity focusing on the skill for the week), and then they have to complete a certain number of boxes by the end of the week. Our students keep all of the materials in a TTT folder that stays at school. I manage my materials using plastic magazine boxes labeled 1-9, coordinating the number of the square on the TTT page with the materials in the corresponding box.

5. Jen in NCal

Jen in NCal Rookie

Jun 4, 2009

Just marking my spot because I really like this idea.