ELA curriculum maps

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Dec 6, 2013.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 6, 2013

I'm really frustrated with my district, because we had to start teaching to the CCSS this year, but we haven't been given any resources or curriculum maps. We're expected to start creating our own maps next week, but we haven't even been told where to start. We have Harcourt Storytown, but not everyone uses it (I don't), and it isn't even aligned to Common Core.

There are so many different maps out there, but many of them are aligned to a specific curriculum that a district has purchased. Does anyone know of any good online resources to use as a guide for mapping? I am aware of Engage NY, and the Curriculum Maps book.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 7, 2013

I didn't use any tools when we started our curriculum maps, just an excel spread sheet. I basically typed up the standards and looked at my current teaching to see which standards I generally taught in which units. Then I dug in more deeply.

It helped me to see where I was already teaching the standards, where they seemed to fit naturally and which standards I was focusing on more than others.