EL authorization question

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by avaskez, Dec 12, 2017.

1. avaskez

avaskez Guest

Dec 12, 2017

Hello there!
    I'm in the process of transferring my Arizona elementary teaching credential to California. I was on edjoin looking for possible teaching jobs and I noticed that almost every district I'm wanting to apply to requires me to provide an EL authorization or CLAD equivalent. I've tried looking on the CTC website, however I don't feel like I'm getting a direct answer. I would like to know what I need to do to get that authorization. More specifically, do I have to take a course or can I just take a test? I hope anyone out there can help me or has gone through this process.

3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Dec 12, 2017

I think the recent teaching certificates have an embedded CLAD authorization, if I’m not mistaken. Modern teaching credential programs include this coursework in their curricula so you get this authorization upon successful completion of the program, at least in California.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 3, 2018

By state law, everyone with a credential in California is supposed to be CLAD-compliant. Credential programs since 2003 have the requisite coursework built in. For people whose credentials predate the requirement or for licensed teachers from out of state, the options are (a) to take coursework approved by the Commission on Teacher Credentialing, (b) to pass all three subtests of CTEL, or (c) to do some of each (you could, for example, pass Subtests I and III but take a course for Subtest II).

If you already know where in California you'll be, look up the COE - county office of education; each county has one and employs one or more credential analysts, and those people are generally good about giving live answers to questions.

futuremathsprof likes this.