EKKK not another resume

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by HoustonTeacher, Jun 10, 2007.

1. HoustonTeacher

HoustonTeacher Rookie

Jun 10, 2007

Colleagues here is my current resume. Can some critique it please?

Leonard F. Morse
    Houston, TX. *****
    Home: (555) 555-8085 Cell: (555) 555-5471
    Email: *****.****@sbcglobal.net​

Objective
    As an energetic future educator, who is motivated to inspire students through professionalism, best practices and innovative ideals, I am seeking an EC – 4th grade position that will allow me to positively impact student’s academic and social growth.

Education

Bachelor of Science May 11, 2007 University of Houston
    Major: Hotel and Restaurant Management Houston, Texas

EC – 4 Generalist Certification ACT Houston
    Pending Summer 2007 Institute
    Registered for the TExES Content Exam # 101 on June 26, 2007 to meet the “Highly Qualified” requirement of No Child Left Behind.

ESL Certification ACT Houston
    Pending Summer 2007 Institute
    Registering for the TExES ESL/Generalist EC-4 #104 and 154 for August 4, 2007

Education Related Experience

Student Volunteer Aug. 2003 – May 2007 Tinsley Elementary Houston ISD
    Assisted Mrs. Hill in her Third Grade classroom with various student-centered projects. Spoke with students about using a variety of reading strategies to assist with reading comprehension.

Mentor for Gents 2002 – 2004 Willowridge High School Fort Bend ISD
    Gents is a leadership and college preparatory organization for young men in High school. Advised students on the process of getting into college, and maintaining academic standards.

Volunteer Application Processing Alief ISD
    Summer School Volunteer

Sunday School Assistant Teacher 1993 – 1994 Grace Temple Church, Houston, TX.
    Helped the instructor with organizing the material for the class, and relating it to the class age range.

Youth Step Team Director 2002 – 2003 Resurrection Lutheran Church, Houston, TX.
    Organized drill formations for youth step team. Mentored Elementary and Middle school students about life, and how to be successful in school.

Work History

Security Officer October 2005 – Current Hilton Americas Houston 555-555-6134

Leadership Skill

Vice President Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc., Zeta Zeta Chapter (2002-2003)
    Organized youth out-reach programs for the greater Houston area
    Director of Communications University of Houston Chapter of National Society of Minorities
    Sent emails to chapter regarding events and meeting

REFERENCES
    (NAME IS Omitted) Hilton Americas Supervisor (555) 555-7140
    (Name is Omitted) Teacher Alief ISD (555) 555-9151
    (Name is Omitted) Asst. Principal Tinsley Elementary (555) 555-8400

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2007

I wouldn't use the phrase "future educator"... by the time you apply, you'll be there! Don't give them any reason to doubt your abilities.

Here: "Spoke with students about using a variety of reading strategies " would change the verb to something stronger..."worked with" or "Tutored" or "Taught"

Here:"Gents is a leadership and college preparatory organization for young men in High school"... I'm pretty sure that "high" shouldn't start with a capital letter. If I'm wrong, then I imagine that "school" would as well.

Here:" Advised students on the process of getting into college, and maintaining academic standards" I don't think you need the comma. And does it need to end with a period, since it is a sentence fragment?? (Oops, my math--- not English-- background is showing!)

Hee:" Helped the instructor with organizing the material for the class, and relating it to the class age range." I think you need to be more specific. It sounds as though you alphabetized papers. I think it's too passive-- what did you do for the KIDS?

I think that, overall, you want to emphasize any leadership roles. You also want to highlight anything that dealt with KIDS, as opposed to organizational aspects of your past jobs.

4. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2007

I was in your same boat with the "Pending Institute" type thing. We were told to write "Expected June 2007" etc. rather than pending. They told us pending sounds like we might not get it... where as expected is.... expected. My resume said "EC-4 Generalist and EC-12 Spec. Ed certification: Expected June 2006" That way they are more confident to hire you because you are expecting your certification at the end of June.

5. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Jun 10, 2007

Just my opinion and how I've always done my resume...I would shorten the objective. Maybe start with "I am seeking an EC - 4th"...and go from there. Mine simply states "Seeking Elementary Teaching Position" I was always told they want to be able to quickly glance and see what position you are looking for. I think that holds true for the entire resume. I was also always told that under "Education" everything should be in order starting from most recent. Yours goes May '07 to summer. Just how I do things though, you probably don't need to change it.

6. HoustonTeacher

HoustonTeacher Rookie

Jun 11, 2007

Thank you all for the feed back. I will make some revisions.