Egg candleing

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Lives4Math, May 12, 2008.

1. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

May 12, 2008

For those of you who already hatched eggs this year or have in the past I have a question. At how many days did you first candle and see anything easily? We put our eggs in on Wednesday and tried to candle today and couldn't find anything in the 5 or so eggs that we tried (we have 30). The kids are excited and I want to be able to find new eggs if for some reason these aren't fertilized!

3. Calliope

Calliope Companion

May 12, 2008

It takes 7 days for anything to show, but the only thing that will show after the first week are the veins that have started to attach themselves. A week later you should see a little fetus, & if the egg is really light you can often even see the dark black eye spot. A few days later you should see movement.

If you have brown eggs it is very hard to see anything with candling. Also, you have have a very bright light with it sealed up all around the edges so no light escapes (all light must be shining *into* the egg) & the room must be completely dark.

4. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

May 12, 2008

Thanks! Some websites were showing that you could start to see the veins around day 4 so we were getting concerned (another teacher is doing the same thing and she didn't have anything either). We have a special light...We're doing it all through the 4H group and they provided the incubator, some eggs, and the light to candle. We'll try again on wednesday and see what we can see! :)

5. allyd

allyd Rookie

May 12, 2008

I do this every year and find that I can usually see action by day 4 or 5, typically some slight movement in the shadows and veins. By day 7 you should see the eye popping up to the light. Ironically, I went into school this morning to 6 chicks hatched overnight and 4 more hatched today! It is so exciting! My advice for candling...use an overhead projector. Take a piece of black cardboard, tape a jewlery box on top with an oval to hold the egg cut out of the top and bottom. Make sure that this is the only place that the light will shine from. Darken the room and turn on the overhead. Place the egg on the overhead and viola! I love this method. It works great! I know you will soon have an overengaged and crazy day like I had today! You know, the kind of day where it takes more than the recommended dosage of advil to get rid of the headache! :)