Egg and Cheese Sandwich Craving

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Maithal, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Feb 15, 2013

I'm craving an egg and cheese sandwich after I had one at work. I'm thinking of getting Dunkin Donut's or McDonald's Egg and Cheese onEnglish Muffin, but are either any good?

Other idea is to buy eggs tomorrow morning at 7am before going to my 2 gym classes and making one. However, whenever I make eggs I get disgusted to eat it. Idk, why.

There's also a place in the next town over that has egg and cheese sandwiches for about $5.

How are Dunkin Donut's or McDonald's egg and cheese sandwiches? One you prefer over another?

Does McDonald's allow you to get it without meat?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2013

Maithal...it's about a $2 investment...go for it.
    You could even go a bit crazy... get both and do your own taste comparison...

Of course you can order no meat.

The key to cooking eggs is to use low heat and don't over cook.

4. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Feb 15, 2013

Which sandwich is better, McDonalds or DD?

5. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Feb 15, 2013

Depends, I usually find DD sometimes overcooks theirs but I like their veggie egg white sandwich. I have an Egg McMuffin about once a year but they're a pretty decent treat (especially with a hashbrown). Truth be told I like homemade egg sandwiches better, though :)

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 15, 2013

I like homemade egg sandwiches the best too. Yum, now I'm in the mood for one.

7. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Feb 15, 2013

I love McDonalds sausage egg McMuffins. You can get a regular one without sausage. I think I tried DD once and I really liked it, too.

8. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Feb 15, 2013

Every once in awhile I treat myself to a warm breakfast sandwich.....my two favorites are from Starbucks and Panera. Yum!

9. bros

bros Phenom

Feb 16, 2013

There's a local bagel place near me (has four locations, although I believe one got wrecked by Sandy) which makes amazing bagel sandwiches.

Egg and cheese on an everything bagel is amazing.

So is Bacon, Egg, and Cheese on a salt bagel.

10. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 16, 2013

oh darn, now I need to go to Mc for breakfast in the morning.

11. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Feb 16, 2013

I love to make my own. I use turkey sausage patties, whole wheat english muffins, cheese and egg. To make my egg, czacza is correct-low heat. I scramble the egg a bit first and then add to my hot pan. That way I can just fold over and cut in half to fit on the bun.
    Well, must make one now. : )

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 16, 2013

I never tried DD, but my fave breakfast sandwich is McD's sausage McMuffin w/ egg, so without the meat should taste good too.

One of my favorite sandwiches for lunch (or even dinner sometimes) is my homemade egg sandwich. I've eaten them since I was a child. I scramble a couple of eggs, sprinkle Lawry's seasoned salt in, & put it on regular bread spread with mayo. It's good!! If I wanted to be "fancy" I throw in a bit of chopped turkey, mushrooms, & green onions, & maybe a little cheese in w/ the eggs when I cook it.

Also, Subway, Carl's Jr. & Burger King all have their own breakfast sandwiches too that you may want to try. No one has your taste buds, so try them all gradually! :)

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 16, 2013

I have never eaten DD's egg sandwich, but I get a McDonald's egg sandwich every Sunday. It's a tradition for my daughter and me.

14. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 16, 2013

Now that you're talking egg sandwich, here is an easy recipe for a Hungarian item.
    - you need sliced bread and eggs
    Scramble the eggs, dip the bread in it to completely coat it, then fry it in the frying pan (very little oil, you could even use cooking spray, but oil is better).

That's it! It's similar to French toast, but it's not sweet. Sometimes I add chopped parsley, other times dill to the egg mixture, you can also add a little milk, and maybe even finely grated cheese. Add salt and pepper in the mixture, or after.

You can melt cheese on the top side once you flipped the bread over, add tomatoes, ham, more cheese or other things to make it a sandwich, or just it is as is.

My daughter, who is very picky and usually dismisses most foods that are Hungarian, loves it.

15. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Feb 16, 2013

I actually don't eat eggs, but I do eat something similar to what Linguist described. I add salt and pepper to the egg mixture and cook it in a little butter- sort of a savory french toast :)

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 16, 2013

Thats how I make French toast. :pPain Perdu usually adds sugar to the egg mix...

This sounds delicious...reminds me of a Monte Cristo.

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 16, 2013

I don't eat them either, but my husband looooves eggs. He says I make the very best. It's just because I cook at a lower heat and stir in a small circular motion the entire time.

18. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Feb 16, 2013

I love McDonald's egg Mcmuffin and eat one every weekend. But, I have never had a D.D egg sandwich.
    I also crave french toast...will eat them for dinner or for breakfast on a snow day. I put sugar and vanilla in the egg batter.

19. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Feb 17, 2013

I love the DD egg and cheese croissant!

20. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 18, 2013

I love ham, egg and cheese on a biscuit. From anywhere! My craving started when I was 19 and lived in Puerto Rico. Their jamon, queso y huevos sandwiches were made on buttered cuban bread and were the best I've ever tasted.

When I make them at home, though, I make them on a bakery roll.

21. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Feb 20, 2013

The only breakfast sandwiches at McDonalds I will eat are Egg Muffs, no meat, or a biscuit with just cheese. I think they are pretty tasty. I even work there on the weekend so I get sick of their food more than most, and I still hit the drivethru now and then for a quick breakfast.

22. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 20, 2013

:) You guys changed the way I make my eggs. I never knew how much difference it would make to make my scrambled eggs on low heat, and for shorter time!!! It's so delicious - although I can't really describe how it's different, only that it's 100 times better! Thanks!

23. storyh

storyh Companion

Feb 21, 2013

I read this before going to bed and woke up craving a ham, egg, & cheese sandwich. That is what I had for breakfast! Thanks everyone :)

24. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Feb 21, 2013

I used to make a fried egg and lettuce sandwich. I think I will
    try it again. So the deal is cook the eggs on low heat?

25. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Feb 21, 2013

If the roads aren't bad tomorrow when I head to work in the morning I am going to have to stop at McDonalds to get myself a bacon, egg and cheese bagel. Oooh that sounds so good!

I'm wishing they did breakfast all day!

26. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Feb 23, 2013

To egg, or not to egg: that is the question:
    Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to eat
    The toast and butter of outrageous meals,...

27. bison

bison Habitué

Feb 23, 2013

BF has made me a few egg and cheese sandwiches on bagels this week. I love them. He saw the title of this thread on my computer and asked if I posted it. :lol: We both always cook eggs on low heat. That's the only way! If only we had some bacon or ham on hand to add.

For the greatest scrambled eggs of all time, check out Gordon Ramsay's recipe. They're not for sandwiches really, but worth mentioning. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUP7U5vTMM0

28. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 24, 2013

Yes, I learned that from Alton Brown many years ago and my husband says eggs otherwise just don't compare. I whisk them first in one of those little shake cups with a wire ball, cook on what's a four on my stove, and stir in small circles the entire time...and stop when they are still pretty "wet".

29. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 24, 2013

Wait - you don't make fried eggs for your sandwiches? I do.