Egalia Preschool Attacks Gender Bias

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeacherShelly, Jun 27, 2011.

1. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 27, 2011

Story...

A preschool in Sweden fights gender stereotypes on multiple fronts. What do you think?

3. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Jun 27, 2011

I think it's important that we don't try to push stereotypes on genders as there are boys who may like playing kitchen and girls who may like playing with cars. Discouraging them from doing so may inhibit development and create cognitive dissonance within the child.

However, the preschool staff should not be shocked that most boys flock to the cars and legos, and the girls flock to the dress-up set and kitchen. The brains of boys and girls are hardwired differently, and there is scientific proof of that. A book called Why Gender Matters is a good start that explains why there is a difference in behaviors.

4. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 27, 2011

And all the research, unless we can parse the data ourselves (and maybe even then), you can support the other side of the debate. See Myths of Gender, for one example.

5. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 27, 2011

I think the idea is fine, though I'm not sure it's really necessary to avoid saying he/she him/her. But as far as choosing books that are open to various relationships, I like that. And a play area that mixes stereotypical boy and girl things is good too. And encouraging the kids to be okay with playing house and not limiting it to one mom and one dad sounds good too. But I'm really fine with my kids saying, "Can you get his book for me" and not "Can you get its (or whatever word) book for me."

6. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jun 27, 2011

I saw this in the paper this morning and I laughed to myself. My kids kindergarten teachers did this.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2011

I like what Jenny Johnsson had to say: "Egalia gives them [the students] a fantastic opportunity to be whoever they want to be." However, I think some of their tactics be me unnecessary such as using term "hen" opposed to what would be him or her in English.

8. sjnkate

sjnkate Rookie

Jun 27, 2011

I think it's somewhat ridiculous.