Efficient lesson planning? When things dont go as planned

Discussion in 'General Education' started by jessiiteach, Feb 5, 2012.

1. jessiiteach

jessiiteach Companion

Feb 5, 2012

What is the most efficient way you do your lesson plans so you are not copying and pasting and shifting plans all around when a lesson takes more days than originally planned?

For example, I made my plans for next week and realized I needed another day on a certain lesson because of a fire drill. so I had to shift each days plans and homework, which is really easy to mess up if I am not careful. Then I had to do it again for another lesson that the kids needed more time to understand. This is not efficient. There has to be a computer program that does the shifting for you. Does anyone use excel for lesson plans? Or anything else?

3. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Feb 5, 2012

I use Excel and cut/paste when necessary. I only print out when admin wants to collect lesson plan binders (which hasn't happened at my new school yet).

4. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 5, 2012

Mine are set up in a table. I don't cut & paste during the week. Just when I'm planning for the next week. If I don't finish something, then I put that work in the file for the next day & shift everything down a day.

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Feb 5, 2012

I do everything in Word and then cut and paste for the week. If something happens during the lessons that cause me to adjust my original plans, I just scribble over it in pen. I do try to make a note in my Word file so I have it as a reference for the next year.

6. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Feb 5, 2012

I put all my information on sticky notes and stick them in my plan book. After the day is complete I write the information in the boxes. That way if we need more time (or less time) it is easy to shift the notes.

7. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Feb 5, 2012

I know a teacher who plans on post-its, shifts as needed and photocopies at the end of the day.

8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Feb 5, 2012

I write my plans in pencil so I can erase as needed. I don't have to keep very detailed plans.

9. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Feb 5, 2012

I write my plans in black pen on lilac-colored paper. I happened to grab a ream of the stuff a couple of years ago. Very festive.

When plans change (not often, though if a unit is really working, I don't mind extending it), I scratch out the old and write in the new. There's technology for you.

Our bureaucrats don't ever collect our plans. Perhaps some day they'll take the wrong graduate course and we will be subjected to that particular indignity. So far so good though.

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 5, 2012

I usually plan my units out by numbering the days. So if something takes longer, I just don't move on to the next day. I use a post-it flag to mark where I am on the lesson plan. If I stay on a days plan longer, then I just keep the flag on the same day.

11. gebakat

gebakat Rookie

Feb 5, 2012

I started using planbook.com this year. It allows me to bump or extend a lesson from 1-10 days if needed. This feature alone is worth the ten bucks it costs for the year.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 5, 2012

Like TeachOn, I use pen in my plan book. If I have to cross out or white out, I do so. I did this week's planning Friday afternoon, in a 9th period study hall sub in the cafeteria.

13. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Feb 5, 2012

I have my week's timetable on a spreadsheet with all resources etc listed for each lesson. I print out the page and pin it next to my whiteboard. If a lesson doesn't happen for any reason or the work doesn't get completed then I just pencil an arrow to the next lesson. My technician then sees it and knows that she doesn't have to prep the next lesson and can skip to the following one. She also has a paper copy of the prep plan for every teacher in the dept in her prep room and she pencils in changes as she goes along. When I am preparing the next week schedule I would cut and paste the last lesson from the current week into the first lesson for that class in the next week (I hope that makes sense).
    The tech preps our labs in trays so if I finish a lab I put a green card in the tray and it gets cleared away. If I need to keep the lab equipment for next lesson I put a red card in the tray and she knows to leave it in the lab.