Effectively Using Dry Erase Boards!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Starista, May 5, 2006.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

May 5, 2006

Hello!

TGIF!

I am very excited because our principal has purchased 30 dry erase boards for every student for next year! My question is this... What do I use them for? Centers? Whole group teaching? Handwriting? (the boards have proper guidelines). Also where should I store these? In the students desks? I don't know if thats a great idea because they will play with them when they're not supposed to be, etc? I could find a baggie big enough for them maybe? What do you think? Thanks so much! And any activties/ideas for what you do with the boards would be greatly appreciated!

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 5, 2006

guided reading instruction would be a start. How big are these boards? Maybe you can clear a spot by your desk on a shelf for the boards. The kids can also use them as part of centers ( math and reading) It's better than chart paper!

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 5, 2006

My kids keep them in their desks and use them for math computation, spelling bingo, any time they want to, actually. We use them together a lot in math. Mine are too busy to even think about playing with them inappropriately.

5. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 5, 2006

They make puzzle holders that are the perfect storage place for these.

6. NCP

NCP Comrade

May 5, 2006

I stack mine in a file crate turned so the open part is facing forward. I also have a medium sized basket to store my marker and erasers. A great idea I read for erasers: get some of the kid sized knit "magic gloves" the ones that stretch when you put in your hand, and have the kids wear them on their non writing hand. They work great, and I can just run them through my washing machine at home.
    As for uses, I do spelling practice during centers, math review or basic fact practice, during guided reading groups to write word families or just as a change from writing in our notebooks. The possibilities are endless!

7. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

May 5, 2006

I use my dry erase boards for nearly everything. My students have them in their seat pockets. I use pieces of black felt to erase and periodically I super-clean them with fingernail polish remover. A must, which makes assessment easy for me, is how students will respond with their answers. For example, I have my kids complete their work them turn their slates toward themselves. That way answers are covered and roaming eyes won't see new goodies.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 6, 2006

Hand sanitizer works well to clean up residue. We usually use baby wipes to erase quickly, but we also use felt squares.

It's nice to have a teacher board which is larger - maybe 2' x 3' or so. Really Good Stuff has them but I'm sure they're sold everywhere.

For me, it is best to have magnetic white boards, even if they are more expensive. They can be used with magnetic poetry sets very nicely. You can use the words for grammar questions and the kids enjoy that.

I found teeny tiny little white boards at WalMart. They are 3" x 3" and not very useful, but awfully darn cute.

9. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 6, 2006

I have to go to Wal Mart... these sound so much better than typical notebook and chalkboard work.. I hope to get to use them..

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 6, 2006

I hope you do, too, Miss Frizzle.

11. Starista

Starista Cohort

May 6, 2006

I am so excited for all the awesome ideas! :) They finally arrived yesterday in my classroom and they have 3 "guidelines" for writing at the bottom and I think they're going to be a lot of fun. If I let them keep them in their desks, do you think I should store them in something like a plastic baggie or a book bag from Really Good Stuff etc? Thanks again for all teh ideas!

12. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

May 6, 2006

I teach Kindergarten and my students leave them in their desks. They use either socks, erasers or Kleenex to erase their boards. My kids use them all the time during free time to practice writing their numbers, alphabet, sight words, addition problems, time, etc. We also use them at the carpet for Making Words, writing sight words, practicing handwriting, etc. We couldn't live without them in Kdg. You are lucky that your Principal purchased yours. Ours are just shower board squares, but they work perfectly!

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 7, 2006

I don't keep them in bags and they have last for several years.

14. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 7, 2006

I don't know anyone who has kept them in bags. Mine are about 5 years old. I guess if you want to keep the dry erase pen and eraser with the board you could put them in a bag... I like double checking that the lids on my pens are on properly, so I like them in a container.

15. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

May 7, 2006

I LOVE my whiteboards. We use them a lot and as long as you set clear expectations I think you'll love them too.

How we use them...
    Beginning of the year --
    Practice writing letters and numbers
    Drawing pictures as I read a story -- illustrate what you hear
    Beginning/Middle/End of story
    Drawing patterns in math

Later ---
    Writing high frequency words
    Writing words from our word family
    Writing CVC words
    Writing sentences

Storage...
    I keep my white boards in a laundry basket. Also in the basket is a small tub to hold markers. Each marker is in a sock which works as their eraser.

Procedures....
    I teach them the procedures at the beginning of the year and it has worked wonderfully.
    1. Take your marker out of your sock and put the cap on the end.
    2. Hold your marker in the air so I know you are ready
    3. No drawing - must use the white board for the lesson purpose only. Consequence for not doing this is removal from the whiteboard activity.
    4. AFTER our group activity is finished, anyone who has not been removed gets a few minutes to free-draw or write.
    5. Clean up -- "Make sure it clicks" and put marker in sock.

The incentive of free time keeps my kids on task. I seldom have to remove anyone from the activity and they all stay engaged. :)

16. Starista

Starista Cohort

May 7, 2006

This forum is awesome! I was so lost as ho wto use my white boards and now I have some awesome ideas! Since they're first graders I may have them store them in their desks. My only reservation about that is that several groups use my classroom after hours and I would not like them to go through my kids' desks etc...

17. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 7, 2006

in that case, store them in baskets and put the baskets in a locked closet.

18. Starista

Starista Cohort

May 7, 2006

Awesome idea! :) It get very discouraging when the children's pencils, story books etc get tampered with etc... But there's very little I can do about it except fill out a form. I like the idea of putting them in a locked closet and am quite excited for them. :)

19. mellee

mellee Rookie

May 10, 2006

They are great for writing the room and word wall activities too...it is great that they can bring them to sit on the floor sometimes. The only challenge I've had is getting the caps on the dry erase markers. We talk about listening for the click...I guess that the lid I found under my chart stand did not make the click :)

20. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 11, 2006

When you need to toss a used-up marker, save the lid to replace others that may get lost.

21. Kaitlin

Kaitlin Rookie

May 18, 2006

I think that you should give the kids the responsibility of keeping their marker board in their desk. Use them for question/answer lessons. Say, you ask what 9x9 is. The child writes the their down on the marker board. " Hold them up! " The students raise the boards so you can see the answers. Make sure you look all around the room before telling the class to put the boards back on the desk. This works well for other subjects, too.

22. KIF

KIF Companion

May 20, 2006

Don't forget that you can get whitboards at Lowe's or Home Depot. I got 20 or so 12' x 12' for about 12 dollars. They'll even cut for free if you tell them you are a teacher!

23. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

May 20, 2006

Paint the backs of your whiteboards with magnetic paint and you have two boards in one.

24. Starista

Starista Cohort

May 21, 2006

Awesome, awesome ideas. :)

Do you think I should ask the school to purchase the dry erase markers or just buy them myself in bulk at Office Max? I spend so much money on my class as it is!!! Not trying to sound stingy AT ALL, but ~ I am sure most of you can relate.

25. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

May 21, 2006

Can dry-erase markers go on your student supply list for te beginning of the year?

26. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 21, 2006

They do on ours. We even specify EXPO brand, because those cheap ones just don't cut it.

27. Starista

Starista Cohort

May 21, 2006

Really good idea ~ will ask if we can add it to our supply list ASAP! :)

28. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 21, 2006

Chisel Tip is the best, I find. It just seems that off brands and skinny markers don't erase that well. Also, I would suggest getting a bottle of EXPO board cleaner. I have 2 large white boards and use it all the time. It cost about $1.50 for a bottle that lasts all year long.

Oh yeah.. you can buy the cleaner at Wal-Mart.

Last edited: May 21, 2006
  29. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 21, 2006

The best things I've found to erase with are plain old handy wipes. You can wash them, but I use mine for weeks then toss it. I never buy white board cleaner. For stubborn stains I use hand sanitizer.

30. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

May 22, 2006

I just ordered a gallon of expo cleaner to refill my small bottle. As a Title I teacher, I really use my dry erase boards! :)

31. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 22, 2006

Hm. I wonder how diluted vinegar would work.

32. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 23, 2006

Anything that you're trying, try it out on a small area. You don't want to ruin your board on accident.

33. Jame

Jame Comrade

May 23, 2006

:angel: Just a thought:be sure to specify odorless markers. Some colors can be pretty wicked! Kids who are sensitive to these smells can get headaches. Green markers, especially, have a strong scent.