Effective Staff Meetings

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Miss J. Pre-K, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Dec 6, 2008

We have a staff meeting once a month that the director calls and basically she goes over all the new regulations from the "main office" and basically repeats all the stuff she's been told that we are doing wrong (usually it involves paperwork b/c the teachers and assistants are doing the main offices' jobs--another rant). I've really come to dread these meetings.

Both of the teachers in our center are new to Head Start, as is our director, some of the assistant teachers, and rotater. Not only that, but I am a first year teacher, and the other teacher is teaching pre-k for the first time. We are not getting much support from our director or the "main office" people. I'm looking for ideas about how your staff meetings are conducted that support you as a teacher. I would like to go to the other teaching team and suggest that we start having weekly meetings (maybe 30 min. to start) in which we talk about what has worked for us that week, children we need help with, new curriculum ideas, etc. I feel like I don't get to talk to the other teaching team except on workdays and after school, and then it's not usually about curriculum/kids, but personal stuff. Some days I feel like an island in my classroom.

3. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Dec 6, 2008

We have weekly staff meetings where the principal goes over the stuff from the ad building and general stuff like you described above. Then, once a week we also have a team meeting where the teachers in our grade level get together and talk about what you described like curriculum and ideas. Maybe you could suggest to the other teachers that you start having team meetings weekly.

4. little317

little317 Groupie

Dec 6, 2008

We have a weekly faculty meeting. The agenda and left of the meetings vary from week to week. There is always a session at the end for announcements/house keeping stuff. We are also required to have a weekly team meeting with the teachers in our grade level. It's part of our PLC committment. Sometimes the topic doesn't always pertain to K-1, but we still have to grit through the meeting. Oh, and then there are the meetings where they talk about the horrible budget. For the most part, we share a lot about curriculum and assessment.

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 6, 2008

At the best preschool I worked at we had a "theme" for each meeting that we discussed. The meeting had different formats depending on the purpose and available resources. Sometimes a staff member was an expert on something or had been to a training/conference and shared new ideas that we then discussed how to implement. Other times, they would e-mail us the theme a few weeks before and we would write/collect ideas and share them at the meeting (ex. best transition ideas or teaching numbers). The sharing ideas were my favorite because 1) sometimes you don't think to share the things you do everyday and 2) it helps to hear how people build on ideas.

6. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Dec 7, 2008

That's a great idea! I know we're all creative people--we "steal" ideas from each other when we see them, but I have no clue what the teacher across from me is teaching or how she teaches certain concepts or if we're teaching similar things (we're in pre-k, so there's no real "standards").

7. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Dec 8, 2008

I also think Tasha's meetings with themes are a great idea. My director also says she wants us to observe each other's classes, but we don't have time. I really like sharing ideas on one topic per meeting, and plan on mentioning it to my director tomorrow.

8. Alesia

Alesia Companion

Dec 8, 2008

How about doing a teacher swap? That way no classroom is short staffed and everyone still gets to experience another classroom.

I also like the idea of staff presenting something at the staff meetings. I love learning new things.

9. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Dec 10, 2008

Wow, compared to your meetings, ours are much friendlier. We usually talk about upcoming things that needs to be done, ex. party sign-ups, book sales, etc. The director reminds us occasionally about some papers that need to be filled out or a training that not everybody took (without mentioning names).

After the meeting, which is monthly btw, we have separate age group meetings, all 2 year old teachers together, all 3 year old, etc. We talk about what supplies we need for next months and ideas for crafts, etc. for our age group.

They just did those separate meetings this year, but it seems to be working very effectively. It's great to get ideas in a small group

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 10, 2008

:rofl:

oxymoron: A combination of opposites; the union of contradictory terms.

Ex: effective staff meetings

:rofl:

11. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Dec 11, 2008

We usually do some sort of philosophical discussion at our staff meetings. They last 2 hours. The first hour is business and the second hour is a discussion. We all read the same article, or we all read the same portion of a book, and then we have a roundtable discussion.

The nice thing about this is that it helps us all get on the same page philosophically (for example, boys vs girls, bullying, etc.) and we get an hour of professional development time that helps with the required hours for daycare licensing.

12. Alesia

Alesia Companion

Dec 11, 2008

:lol: