Eeek!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teach57, Aug 28, 2007.

1. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Aug 28, 2007

I'm freaking out! I just got a call for an interview. I originally applied in a different position but was called for a science position. Interview is tomorrow early! Help! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm updating my portfolio to show all my science lessons, etc. because my portfolio was aimed before for general subjects. I'm so nervous! This will be my first science interview this summer. It's for middle school science. :help:

3. mitten

mitten Rookie

Aug 28, 2007

Good luck! I interviewed for a middle school science position earlier this month and science isn't one of my subject areas either. Hmm...I would definitely have some examples ready of hand-on lessons you have done. If you haven't, there is still time to make some up. :) The school I interviewed with didn't have a science text book, so I talked a lot about pre-assessing the students to find out what their misconceptions were about science and how I would use that information to drive my instruction. -I would do that for each unit I taught...
    Science is a great way for students that struggle in reading to be involved and gives them an opportunity to feel successful (because of the hands-on learning).
    Yeah, I thought I'd have better advice when I started this, but if you think of some specific questions I'll check back later.

4. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Aug 28, 2007

Thank you! I taught a lot of hands-on Science units in my last position in 4th grade. This position will be science for 4-8 grades and I don't have as much experience with 7 & 8th graders. So far I put information and pictures from a unit I did with the 4th graders on Simple Machines and Rock & Minerals. I'm SO happy I actually took pictures of these lessons when the kids were working.

I'm nervous about what the questions will be in the interview. Mitten-what questions did they ask you in your interview? What would be a good classroom management policy to have with middle school grades, like 7 & 8th? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

5. mitten

mitten Rookie

Aug 28, 2007

They mostly asked me how I would plan for science without a text book. I talked about what resources I would use and gave examples of things I had done and planned in the past. I'm not familiar with other state's standards, but do you have guidelines for what you have to teach that you could look at? Definitely familiarize yourself with any state requirements that way you can talk about how you would meet those in your classroom.
    I'll give you a few bullet points I look at about classroom management before interviews:
    -I cherish contact time...when students are engaged there is no time to misbehave (this comes with me being well prepared...planning wise)
    -When there is disruption...I do my best to limit the impact of the disruption (let the student know they aren't being appropriate...discuss the behavior on my time - not instructional time)
    -If that doesn't work, use colleagues, teammates for advice
    -Contact parents to leverage their support
    -I've found that I respect students and they give me respect in return (I am fair and consistent)

*Students like boundaries...like knowing expectations

I think the biggest thing with middle schoolers is building relationships with them. Being a positive role model with a lot of energy. If you have a relationship, you have a lot more pull when it comes to behavior.

6. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2007

Mitten makes some great points. Stress your ability to plan for and organize hands on activities. Consistency with classroom management is important. Many districts are using a kit format for science (no text) or a combination so they'll want to know that you are techno-savvy and can find and use resources. You may want to think about how you'll organize yourself to handle a large quantity of students effectively (using colored folders for each class, etc.). those were the important issues at my school. good luck - middle school science rocks!

7. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Aug 28, 2007

Thank you so much! I'm so excited to get this interview. I love science and would love this job! I'm nervous that they are going to see that I don't have much experience with middle school aged students. I feel confident that I can handle it and hope they see that too. I'm so nervous about questions they are going to ask me. I'm ready with the classroom managment one, but I don't know from there. I just have to breathe...:eek:

THANK YOU again for all your help!!!

8. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Aug 28, 2007

Yep. Most time administration is like a dog, they smell fear and usually can tell if you're right for the position. Experience or not. They can generally feel the person out and see what their potential is just by the way you answer questions and speak in hypotheticals. Even if you don't know the exact answer or never were able to put it into practice. Well wishes to you, breathe deeply and take it easy!! Let us know how it goes!!

9. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Aug 29, 2007

Well the interview is done and it's now the waiting game. The principal said that she had two more people she wanted to meet with, but hasn't actually gotten a hold on one person yet. I should hear by tonight.

I'm surprised that I'm really not impatient about hearing the decision because I usually am. I suppose it's because I have mentally been preparing to be a sub this year and this interview was an added bonus.

The interview itself was fine. I left thinking of a dozen other things I wish I would have said, like usual. The other science teacher there is really nice and I think we would get along really well together. The staff is small, which is another bonus. I have worked in schools that have been huge and it's hard to get to know everyone. The school also is BIG on professional development, which is wonderful! I would start ASAP as school starts next Tuesday and there is an open house tomorrow night. I'd be very busy, but a good busy!

If it's meant to be, I will get the job. If not, I'll keep looking. I'll let you all know how it goes, but for now we shall wait...

10. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Aug 29, 2007

I'm sure you did fine & that the principal will be calling you..

Well wishes to you on the sucky wait.. =)

11. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Aug 29, 2007

Grr!

So I've been waiting all day for a call from the interview this morning. I just checked my email and had one from the principal. It said, "We will be continuing interviews this evening and will make a decision tomorrow morning." I'm thinking that they got a hold of another candidate and did the interview this evening. It's a bummer, but I have a feeling that I will be "second choice" again. It will be interesting to see in the morning. I know the call will be very early because they wanted the candidate to be there tomorrow for workshops and open house. It would be a wonderful position and I think I would do a fabulous job at it, but we shall see. I have to keep believing that if it's meant to be, it will happen. Now we will have to wait for that decision until tomorrow...

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2007

teach57, i know how you feel. I have felt like I have always been "2nd choice" this summer as well. BUT I got a call today from a principal in a district that I didn't apply at. One of the principals that I emailed my resume to ended up forwarding it to him saying I looked promising!! Don't lose hope!!

13. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Aug 30, 2007

This waiting game is just plain annoying! I figured they would make a decision quick, especially how they were talking in the interview. I called about 11:45 today and the principal said they were going to meet soon to make a decision. Well...it's now almost four hours later and nothing. The prinicpal said that she would call either way when they made the decision. I just wish I knew so I could stop thinking about it. If I did get it...FANTASTIC! If I didn't get it...then it's time to move on. :(

14. smalltowngal

Aug 30, 2007

teach57, I know its tough to play the waiting game. I went on an interview this summer. They said they needed to make a decision pretty quickly so I should know something by that afternoon or the next day. You can just see my waiting by the phone, carrying it everywhere. They didn't call me until 5pm the day after the interview....I didn't get it, second choice though.

15. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Aug 30, 2007

I figured I would have heard by now if I was the "winner." I just wish that principals would give the runner-ups a call to end the waiting. It doesn't take long to call and say "sorry you didn't get it." Somedays I wish I was a principal...

16. smalltowngal

Aug 30, 2007

Ah, to be principal for a day...I wouldn't want that responsibility. I think it would be nice if they would call the runnerups first...but hey you could look at this as a good sign!!

17. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Aug 31, 2007

It wasn't a good sign. The principal said she would call either way, but instead I received an email this morning saying she chose someone else. I figured I wasn't going to get the position, but if you say you're going to call...call. Grr! Back to the search again even though school starts on Tuesday.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2007

They don't call candidates right away because they are waiting for approval from a superintendant , or they are checking references, or they may be waiting for a call back from their first choice (who sometimes asks for 24 hours to decide...) It could be a day or two before you hear sometimes...sometimes even longer. :(

19. smalltowngal

Aug 31, 2007

UGH! The results by email. I have been fortunate that both principals called. I would call the principal and ask what you could improve on for the next interview. I'm sorry that you ound out that way.

20. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 31, 2007

I am sorry that you did not get the job :(! I guess it wasn't the right one for you...

21. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Aug 31, 2007

Trust that the right one WILL come along.