Eeek! Short notice on interview!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by snickydog, Jul 3, 2007.

1. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jul 3, 2007

I just got a call this afternoon for an interview on Thursday! It's at a great school, 3rd grade. I'm not sure how many other people they are interviewing, but of course, I need to convince them they want me. :)

So question - I tutored 3rd for a year, and I have that experience to draw on. However, I student taught 1st and currently teach MS science (departmentalized). I want to bring in lesson samples - would you bring in stuff you already did with the little ones, or make up stuff you WOULD do with the 3rd graders?

THANKS!

3. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Jul 3, 2007

Did they ask for lesson plans? If they did, then I would bring in 3rd grade lesson plans. Do you have a portfolio? I would bring that too. Don't fret too much. I was called on a Thursday afternoon and interviewed Friday morning. I got the call on Saturday that I got the job. :)

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2007

I think they may have trouble visualizing you in 3rd if they have only K or MS lessons to review...I don't think I'd take a leson I hadn't taught either. Maybe skip the lessons?

5. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jul 3, 2007

They did not ask for lesson plans... I am one of those types who likes to be overprepared. ;) An area I feel I need to work on (and that is BIG with the school) is literacy, so I might bring in a 3rd grade literacy plan then. Maybe I'll do a 3rd grade math plan too since 3rd grade is a BIG HUGE testing year here (reading and math) and this is a school that does well but can do better on those tests. I do have a full portfolio, too, but it's a combo of 1st and middle school stuff.

CONGRATS on the job, too!!! What grade?! :)

6. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jul 3, 2007

Hmm.... Now I'm not sure what to do. :-/

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2007

I'd say go ahead and write a new mini-lesson for 3rd grade and also bring a plan for another grade which you've already used. Can't hurt.

8. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 3, 2007

I don't think I'd prepare lessons for third grade if you haven't used them. It could be a huge waste of time if they don't plan to ask for them or if they have a different philosophy somehow that causes them to remember you negatively.

Having said that, you mentioned you have TUTORED third grade. Did you keep summaries of your sessions? Did you prepare lesson plans or keep track of your students' progress? If so, that would be great stuff to take! I tutor Kinder and first grade students, and I prep the lesson plans and then also type up summaries--as much for my future planning as to give something to the parents for their reference.

9. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Jul 3, 2007

I'm teaching preschool sped, an inclusion program.

10. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 3, 2007

congrats!!!

11. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 3, 2007

Maybe talk about things that you would do to prepare students for the tests without "teaching to the test". This is a big thing in my area...
    Also, bring the lessons that you used when you tutored, or talk about the things that you did to help your tutored students get up to speed on the subjects you worked with them on.