Eeek! Just got a shock!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by pwhatley, Aug 11, 2010.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 11, 2010

We had our parent orientation meetings yesterday and today (not much of a meeting, just our P talking and introducing the teachers to the (very small) crowd). No problem. The problem came when we were handed the students' registration pages. There are 61 registered first graders this year (we had 37 last year, in 3 classes), and our P is insisting that we will only have 2 first grade classes! Aaaaarrrrggghhh!:eek:

3. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Aug 11, 2010

Good Luck! I hope it works out for you and you don't pull your hair out!!!

What would make them think they are going to get the same results with class sizes that big?

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 11, 2010

I'm not sure it's even LEGAL! I'll probably be calling my local union's president, to get her opinion.... I'm curious as to what y'all think???

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2010

Welcomem to my daughter's class.

Our superintendent decreed a year ago that no class could be smaller than 16.

So, unless a number of parents jump ship, Kira will spend yet another year in a class of 30. (She's entering 2nd grade.)

She gets special services-- speech and reading, so putting her into Catholic school isn't an option.

At least the principal has assured me that she'll finally have a strong teacher this year.

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2010

That is CRAZINESS!!!!

7. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2010

We have 65 right now with only 2 teachers, and more will probably register in the next few days. I'm hoping they'll hire someone soon!

8. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Aug 11, 2010

I hope you have a strong union or lots of patience. Perhaps the new teacher jobs bill just signed by President Obama will help to get another first grade teacher for your school.

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 11, 2010

Please God... I'm seriously worried.

10. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Aug 11, 2010

That's a lot of little bodies!
    I had 27 one year, but that was the exception.
    It was a hectic year.

11. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 11, 2010

Perhaps I should mention that we have VERY small classrooms... I currently have 22 student desks, a teacher table, a very small classroom library, small computer station and computer stand (for controlling the smartboard), and the room is stuffed! I guess we'll hang the kiddos from the ceiling!

12. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2010

You might consider changing to tables (if you can). I know my room gets really crowded with 28 desks, so I'm wondering what I will do also if I end up with over 30.

13. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 11, 2010

That is how our 2nd grade is. I'm nervous because I only have 15 5th graders, so they may collapse my class and reassign me to 2nd grade. I never taught the lower grades. I'm pretty sure it isn't legal to have a class that big. I agree, you should contact your union to see what the legal class size is.

14. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Aug 11, 2010

Our cap is 30 students per classroom. Currently there are three first grade classrooms with 33 students.

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2010

That's going to make teaching those little guys very challenging! I had 14 last year and there's so much that goes on with only 14, that it just gets crazy when it's 20 or 30 something.

16. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2010

Challenging the legality of the class size will not change the immediate problem of all those warm bodies needing to be taught on a daily basis. At this point, it may be more important to spend more effort and time on creating a conducive educational atmosphere in the classroom than worrying about something that can't be changed. I'm sure the administration is aware of the class size and they have made their decision about it (or it may have been made for them). Maybe we can come up with ideas to help the OP work her classroom?

17. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 12, 2010

Oh PW-that really is a shock. :eek: I had 27 once and you're right it's even just getting around in the classroom with so many bodies. I guess this is the new trend in education :confused:. I wish the decision-makers would just spend one day in the classroom and see how much this effects-can you imagine assessing and individualizing the education for over 30 kids?

We have a cap, but the school can also apply for waivers to that-so it would be kind of legal here. One K class had 32 students for awhile-they ended up hiring a new teacher in November-but that teacher definitely had some gray hair!

If anyone can do though, you can! :)

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2010

I've taught classes as large as 45-- but at least they all knew how to tie their own shoes!

19. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 12, 2010

LOL Alice!

I'm sorry to hear the class might be that big, but like someone else suggested, work on idea on how to best manage that size class. And keep those fingers crossed that you'll get a third teacher added.

20. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2010

That wouldn't happen in our grade 1-3 classes (they are hard-capped at 20), however, beyond that we have some very large classes. I agree that worrying about the legality is counter-productive at this point; recognize that this may be beyond the principal's control. In my school board, staff is allocated to our school based on a complicated formula involving the total number of students, not the number of students at a grade level. Getting another teacher assigned because of large classes is a lengthy, frustrating (and usually unsuccessful) process.

The problem at hand is how to make this work. I am so not a primary teacher. Perhaps if you post some pictures of your classroom we can help you problem-solve.

21. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Aug 12, 2010

That seems to be the new norm unfortunately... :( I hope you find a way to make it work out ok.

22. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 12, 2010

Our first grades all floated around 29 or 30 last year. We lost a K teacher this year to numbers so the two that are left both have 26 at the moment. We've already been told that caps are just suggestions right now and that the state will be giving waivers to go over. It's just not in the budget to be able to hire another teacher even if the numbers said to.

23. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2010

Services must be provided at Catholic schools, through the school district. If you are interested, call the local Catholic school and I ask. I know you teach at one, so it might be different there, but it's a federal law here.

24. Writer02

Writer02 Companion

Aug 12, 2010

I'm afraid we're all going to see increases this year. My first grade son was in a class of 25 last year, and that's the norm here. I teach sixth grade and I had a class of 36, and 3 other classes at around
    30. It's hard to move around the room and pretty crowded. My P is always telling us we had better be differentiating every day, every lesson. :| Tired.

The math that is used to determine what is legal is not exactly the straight math we teachers seem to be doing in our heads. Best of luck to you. I hope you get more students enrolled so they can change it to 3 manageable sized classes. There's always last minute registrations to hope for.

25. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 12, 2010

Oh my... those numbers are scary. But I agree giving advice on how she can cope is the best idea now. I would suggest first finding the tables to make the classroom manageable. Next, I would think about using a Workshop Approach to teaching all areas. Then, I would make sure that I had centers available for students so that I could work in small groups with students at various times of the day. After that, I would make a workable schedule and think about how to manage a class that size. I would def have some kind of behavior management system. I would be as prepared as possible BEFORE your 30 or so young first graders come to school. Being prepared is key!